How old were you

SweetiePie

How old were you when you went out on your first hunt? My nephew is so excited to get out in the woods and has been diligently practicing with his bow but he is only 8, so I don't think he is ready yet.

jason

fear no beer
Never really been hunting, but a neighbor used to let me shoot rats near his chicken coop. I was about 8-10 years old I think.

LivingToCamp

LoL, I'm not sure if you would call this 'hunting' or not, I've never personally been one to hunt, more of a fishing person. But, I was fifteen and was with my boyfriend and we went rabbit hunting. I still can't believe to this day that I actually carried the dead rabbits around that night. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Grandpa

Used to hunt jack rabbits around 8 or 9 with big brothers. (Hunt is the wrong word though. They were so numerous, you didn't have to hunt, just shoot) Didn't hunt the game animals until the legal age of 12 though.

KatieMarie

I don't really hunt much either but I can remember going with my grandfather when I was around 10 or so. He was hunting rabbits at the time I think. I can remember not being real thrilled at watching the rabbits get shot.

ppine

Forester
Dad took me out of school in the third grade to hunt deer. He let me carry a side by side shotgun, but it had no shells. We chased deer around for days. The other kids in show and tell at school didn't get my report at all. We lived in the suburbs of Wash DC then and few people hunted.

CozInCowtown

I was about 10 years old when I got my first deer. Me and Dad and is one of my fondest memories.
Started hunting alone around 12 or 13 I guess but somebody was allways handy if needed.
I hunted my grandpas farm and with 2-1/2 sections to work somebody was allways around somewhere.
DC

Quinn

I was 13 the first time I went on my first hunt. I think it would have been sooner had we lived closer to my grandfather. He was the one who took me on my first hunting trip. My dad doesn't hunt, and had issues with guns. My grandfather on the other hand believed that all boys need to know how to handle a gun.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I'm sure that I've posted elsewhere regarding my first hunting experiences.

A non-hunting experience I recall happened when I was about nine years old. A double barreled shotgun was handed to me... the hammers were pulled back...and I was told to go ahead...shoot it.

I balked for quite some time, as I'd seen those things fired before. But I was urged on...so...

I finally pulled the triggers. Everone present thought that I was very brave.

I was somewhat relieved to find that the gun was not loaded...!!

Barney

I had my first camping with 6. I went a few times with some father's friends to hunt when I was 14 but I didn't like it, mainly because those guys were too lazy to walk and were taking a break every mile or so to refresh. :)

ponderosa

I started going rabbit and sage hen hunting with my dad when I was 8 or 9. I wasn't tall enough to see over the sage brush. I was mostly just along for the walk in the desert. I went with him on big game hunts pretty often before I could carry my own gun. I have great memories of those quiet days in the woods with my dad. He is a gunsmith, and my birthday present when I turned 12 was a pretty little .243 rifle, built by Dad. That was the first year I carried a rifle, and I got a deer and an antelope. I haven't hunted since I left my parents' house after high school, but I'll still join my dad and brother on their hunts sometimes, just for the hike. I still like to keep my shooting skills up, and really like it when somebody puts some venison in my freezer, but I'm not really interested in doing the hunting myself.

Last edited:

Bojib

The first hunting trip I remember I was probably nine or so. Every year my dad used to go with all his buds on a camping/hunting trip when rifle season came in for Deer in November.

When I turned nine I was finally old enough to get to go. It was fun getting to hang out with all the grown ups at the time. Stay up late hearing them tell big stories and dirty jokes. Then waking up early the next morning to go hunt.

I enjoyed being in the outdoors, but didn't think a whole lot of the hunting experience. I managed to go a few more times with them on the annual deer hunts, and a few squirrel hunts. I never was too successful until I got older.

In my adult life I took up bow hunting and muzzle loader hunting. I really enjoyed that, mostly the shooting, not the hunting. Target practice was more fun for me than anything. I did manage to harvest a couple deer with each the bow and muzzle loader. I wasn't much for the cleaning and dressing parts.

Now I don't do any hunting. I would like to take target shooting with a bow again, but there is just too much cost in it for me.

Greatoutdoors

30! My hubby has taught me everything I know and it is something we enjoy doing together. When you are poor it's not too often you get to go on a "date" so it's kind of cool to go on one where you bring back food for the kids! This year (I hope) will be my first bow season.

agoodwriter

I was 9 years old when i borrowed my dads shotgun without permission and went to hunt something in forest, but i didn't never find anything to hunt.. My dad wen't crazy after he saw me coming home with he's shotgun.

dkramarczyk

I have never actually been hunting before, but my dad was helping me to learn how to shoot a gun. He would tack balloons onto a huge wood pile that we had in the yard. Then he would have me try to hit the balloons. Although, I must say, I was only 8 or so and I had never had any gun training or anything, so I thought that looking through the scope would aim the gun directly at the balloon. Instead I realized that I had to use the scope to help me aim the gun. It's confusing, but that's how it was.

I also got to shoot an M16 before. That was later when I was 17 or 18, still not hunting. A friend of mine was in the military and had a couple of class type things he had to go to and he could invite friends. I went and it turned out that I was better with the M16 than he was. It was basically just target practicing though.

MissyKitty

I have never been hunting in my life, never really liked to harm animals in any way. I have many friends who do hunt, from what i have heard most of them started around 12 or so, as a father-son activity.

dinosaur

troublemaker
A double barreled shotgun was handed to me... the hammers were pulled back...and I was told to go ahead...shoot it.

I finally pulled the triggers. Everone present thought that I was very brave.

I was somewhat relieved to find that the gun was not loaded...!!
Sounds like a cruel joke to me not to mention some moron having you dry fire his weapon.

shaun

I remember my first hunting experience well, I was 9 years old and bubbling with excitement. Hunting early on shaped my attitude to nature in general. I am looking forward to taking my son on his first hunting trip.