Are you really camping?

Newanderthal

I find it difficult to think of RVing as camping. I grew up in a trailer smaller than many of the RV's I see. If sleeping in a trailer is camping, then I spent the first 9 years of my life camping.

HikerJoe

The word Camping obviously came from the word Camper so it is camping. I don't like sleeping in a camper or rv or whatever. I like being on the ground with the possibility of being eaten alive or becoming the next Ned Beatty.

Newanderthal

The word Camping obviously came from the word Camper so it is camping.
Actually, camping came from "camp" an outpost where you sleep away from civilization. When trailers became weekend toys, they named them "campers".

Does including a word in the name make it part of the original word's definition? I've heard of a "relaxing bikini wax" but I've never heard of any woman claiming that scalding wax ripping hair out by roots in sensitive areas is at all relaxing.

oldsarge

The word Camping obviously came from the word Camper so it is camping. I don't like sleeping in a camper or rv or whatever. I like being on the ground with the possibility of being eaten alive or becoming the next Ned Beatty.
But the word "camper" describes one who camps. Long before RV's and trailers were around, people who travel by foot camped. I don't know...maybe it's the, "which came first, the chicken or the egg"?

I once heard someone say "yeah, I camped out on their couch", WTF! Didn't the home owners get pissed when he started a fire on their carpet to cook up some weenies?

den's wife

We started out in a tent, then moved onto a converted van. Now we have a fifth wheel toy hauler. We don't spend our days inside unless it's crappy weather out and then we're glad to have the conveniences of home with us. I think the older you get the more you want comforts. To me it's each to his own preference.

LeadOperator

AMEN on the older I get , the more I like my comfort.
I "camped" with a blanket when I was a kid.
I've "camped" on a sand bar out of a canoe.
I've "camped in an old Army canvas wall tent in the snow in Yosemite.
I've "camped" in a screen tent in south Louisiana in the summer and been eaten ALIVE by marsh mosquitoes...not fun.
Now, I "camp" out of a 36 foot class A MH, and I love it.
I still like to be outside, but I like my air conditioning, too.

TroyS

My wife and I have had our share of tent camping and recently, with a Motorhome. For me, it's really all about enjoying the outdoors so either which way we go, it's still camping for us.

jb_simerly

We have a camper but we don't carry around TVs and stuff like that it is pretty much a place to sleep and a porta potty. I have seen some of these rvs with big screen TV's and there kids have play stations hooked up to them think set ups like that are better for people touring the country not weekend excursions don't think i would call that camping myself but if they enjoy it who am i to tell them any different

clewand550

I know that everyone does have their own way of camping. We bought a popup over 24 years ago to take with us camping since we have had so many very rainy and stormy camping trips. We never did use the popup camper. It sat in our yard unused for many years until it rusted out. Even with the horrible weather that we have had camping, we still enjoy camping in tents. To me, it does feel more like camping. We don't camp very much anymore. Not like we used to. I still enjoy camping in the woods though. I love to camp where it is nice and peaceful. Where you can hear your campfire popping and the wildlife around you. I don't like to camp where there are so many people on the same campground that all you hear is people talking.

littlefire

I understand camping is supposed to be sleeping on the ground in tents, or simply under the stars in a sleeping bag, but maybe those with RVs just aren't able to do it quite like that. I know my Grandparents both have bad backs, but they love being able to go camping with us.

dashboardc33

I definitely agree with you on this matter. Using an RV is not truly "camping". You may be able to enjoy the nature during the daytime, but staying in a enclosed camper or RV really limits you at night. It is a lot harder to look at the stars at night, breathe in the fresh air and listen to the crickets chirp. As much as I know a bed inside a camper would be a lot more comfortable and definitely better on my back, it just wouldn't be the same.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Dictionary
Camp
noun.
A place where tents, huts, or other temporary shelters are set up, as by soldiers, nomads, or travelers.

Camping
1. To make or set up a camp.
2. To live in or as if in a camp; settle: We camped in the apartment until the furniture arrived.
3. To shelter or lodge in a camp; encamp: They camped themselves by a river.

Wiki
Camping is an outdoor recreational activity. The participants (known as campers) leave urban areas, their home region, or civilization and enjoy nature while spending one or several nights outdoors, usually at a campsite. Camping may involve the use of a tent, caravan, motorhome, cabin, a primitive structure, or no shelter at all. In many parts of the world, 'camping' refers exclusively to the use of tents or similar portable structures.

Well those are the 2 definitions I found for camping so take what you will from it.

Marshmallow

I think it depends on where you're coming from. Even getting out in a camper or RV is so much different from my everyday life that we call it camping. Plus, all the time we're out and about is not spent inside a camper. We're at campgrounds and in nature for most of the day and evening hours.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Yeah I'm kinda riding the fence on this one. Both sides of the argument have valid points.

That's why when I describe my type of camping I call it Primitive Camping, wilderness camping, or backpack camping so there is no confusion on what type of camping I'm talking about.

I do believe that RV type of camping is still camping as is standard campsite camping. Neither of the 2 is my style but I still consider them camping. I prefer backpack style camping. But we all have our own preferences.

They are all activities centered around getting out and spending time with nature and friends and family. Anything that gets you off that couch and out that front door into nature, I support.

oldsarge

Either way you look at it...you're not home and away from it all. What ever helps you release that tension and get your peace back, call it what ever you want. I can enjoy an RV or swinging in a hammock out in the middle of nowhere. I just wish I could do more of it!

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Either way you look at it...you're not home and away from it all. What ever helps you release that tension and get your peace back, call it what ever you want. I can enjoy an RV or swinging in a hammock out in the middle of nowhere. I just wish I could do more of it!
Im with you on that sarge. I just cant seem to get any time to do it as much as id like to. 2 or 3 weekends a season just aint enough for me. Maybe when I'm done with my B.S. in Mechatronics ill be able to get out there more. But until then im stuck doing homework and classes. :tinysmile_cry_t4:

hummingbirdee

We used to tent and then we graduated to a tent trailer. It actually made the camping experience better. We use our ears to listen to the coyotes at night and the early morning chirping of birds. We do this without being bitten by insects or drenched in rain. We can look out the window to see wild life like moose, elk and deer. We feel more secure while camping in a tent trailer.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
We used to tent and then we graduated to a tent trailer. It actually made the camping experience better. We use our ears to listen to the coyotes at night and the early morning chirping of birds. We do this without being bitten by insects or drenched in rain. We can look out the window to see wild life like moose, elk and deer. We feel more secure while camping in a tent trailer.
I think id really like to try this type of camping sometime with the kids. Its just the initial cost is a little to much for me at this time being a full time student. Perhaps in a few years. Until then ill just be hiking to my campsites.

huullk

If you consider it camping..... its camping for you. I hate when people judge other peoples camping style. If it works for you and makes you happy and comfortable.... call if anything you want