Myth? Or real mountain lion attack thwarted by...

Pathfinder1

Hi...

According to California's ParadisePost.com, a man was attacked by a mountian lion. A black bear came to his rescue and scared off the lion. Then, he started playing with one of the bear's cubs...!!

Truth...or crock...???:tinysmile_twink_t2:

IndianaHiker

Not buying this one. Lost me at playing with the bear cubs. Could see how a bear may have happened in the area and frightened the cat but this sounds fishy.

Lamebeaver

So he's a "naturist" hiking through the woods, getting attacked by mountain lions and high-fiving bears.

He's lucky his name isn't "Claude Balls"

dinosaur

troublemaker
Unless the bear's name is Gentle Ben there's no freaking way. Of course you said the bear had cubs so I guess it would be Gentle Benjamina.

aldove

That's a crock. I mean, how come the camper gets to play with one of the bear's cubs after he got saved by this bear from a mountain lion? This could be seen from a kiddie cartoon channel.

ppine

Forester
I am okay with the bear interacting with a mtn lion and inadverdently scaring it off. Playing with cubs is phony unless someone feeds these bears on a regular basis and has habituated them to humans. This happens more than we would like to admit.
EDIT-
I am suspect of anything with the name California on it. It has become LaLa land.

Has anyone seen the old internet site showing a mule killing a mountain lion? That one was never resolved either.

How about the old story of the guy in Yellowstone that put a black bear cub in the back of his camper? A real nimrod.
Mom ripped thru the aluminum and wood framing like it was nothing and rescued her cub. In without knocking!

Last edited:

Newanderthal

maybe the bear scared off the cougar, but if you start jacking with a cub while the mother is about, you'll be wishing that cougar was back. I'm calling BS. He made that last part up to get attention or whatever.

People, do not believe that a wild bear wants you to play with it or its cubs. Snap photos from a distance with a good zoom lens and leave the animal alone. Do what this guy claims and you might live to regret it.

littlefire

I don't buy it for a second. My guess is it is part of an April Fool's joke. There is no way a bear is just going to start playing with you after being on the defensive.

Sagebrusher

My understanding it was a long-time resident and small-claim miner in that area, and that he had past interactions with the same bear. The "patty-cake" incident was also in the past, not right after the lion attack. I thought BS initially as well, but now I'm not sure. Some bush Alaskans on another forum have pointed out that there is precedent.

Judy Ann

I had a patient telling me yesterday about seeing a bear and a yearing followed by a cub. He backed away carefully and was attacked by a mountain lion from behind. He grabbed his knife and tried to stab at the cat that was on his back and was losing the battle when the momma bear batted the cat off him and then sauntered off with the cub and the adolescent. I didn't pay him much attention, but then today a couple of mountain men from Hot Springs, NC collaborated his story after I told them about it. According to them it happened near them not to long ago. These guys have 35 dogs that they use for bear hunting and even their 2 year old told me how much she likes eating bear. I haven't done a search of the Asheville, NC papers, but let me know if anyone finds that article.

Let it be said that I will NOT be backpacking that stretch of the AT anytime soon!

Grandpa

All I can say is both of these were dumb cats. Cats normally jump from the rear but they go straight to the neck and one bite and it is all over quick. Throw in the bear attacking the cat and I really become a skeptic. But, strange things do happen.

oldsarge

All I can say is both of these were dumb cats. Cats normally jump from the rear but they go straight to the neck and one bite and it is all over quick. Throw in the bear attacking the cat and I really become a skeptic. But, strange things do happen

Yeah...like the time a bear trap cut my foot off. It took several months to grow back...!!

Are you like lizardman?