Alligator attack: Florida teenager loses part of arm

jason

fear no beer
MOORE HAVEN, Florida - A teenager lost his right arm below the elbow in an alligator attack while swimming in the Caloosahatchee River, according to officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC).
FWC's Jorge Pino says the 11-foot gator was found and killed Monday evening after the attack that happened in the water near River Road, southwest of US-27, close to Lake Okeechobee.
Officials say the arm was found inside the gator.
"This area isn't Disneyland. It's right next to Lake O and there are thousands of alligators here," said FWC Captain Jeff Ardelean.
The victim, 17-year-old Kaleb Langdale, was flown to Lee Memorial Hospital after the attack. The arm was sent to the hospital, but friends said doctors were not able to reattach the limb.

read more Alligator attack: Florida teenager loses part of arm - U.S. News

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Hard to understand how a local would swim in a river (or anyplace else) that harbored alligators.

According to the media, he had the presence of mind to pull the severed arm out of the 'gator's mouth before the 'gator could disappear underwater with him.

Wishing the kid all the best.

ChadTower

ChadTower;
17 year olds are immortal, right?

Hi...

Well, weren't we...??

I used to regularly do things, when I was 17, for which I would call my sons complete dumbasses and consider tying them to a dog pulley in the yard.

I probably defied the odds when I lived to be 19.

ppine

Forester
People get used to threats in their environment. In Montana griz are part of the landscape. In Florida alligators are the same. I liked the kid's attitude after his incident. He was very thankful to be alive and not that worried about lost body parts.

wvbreamfisherman

Just one more reason I'm not in any hurry to go back to Florida (as if the bugs, snakes and hot sticky weather aren't enough...).

I'm one to head to the mountains or North country for vacation.

hikeorbike

You'd think someone from Florida would understand the risk of gators when it comes to wild waters. I guess not! This is exactly why you should only go swimming in designated areas.

Grandpa

Gators are bad enough but don't they have water moc's in those places too? Maybe I just listened to too many stories from my Southern friends, but the thought of running into a snake around the shores worry me more than the gators. Either way, I'll stay here in the mountains.

jason

fear no beer
Gators are bad enough but don't they have water moc's in those places too? Maybe I just listened to too many stories from my Southern friends, but the thought of running into a snake around the shores worry me more than the gators. Either way, I'll stay here in the mountains.
Yeah, we have water moccasins, and other poisonous snakes. Snakes do worry me more then gators. Gators tend to leave you alone, but I've seen some snakes attack people, even on lawn mowers.

Grandpa

All we have to contend with are the little great basin rattlers, 3 ft long is a super huge one and they are plenty bashful if you give them a chance to escape.

ppine

Forester
This thread is a good example of risk in the outdoors, and the fact that we all have differing amounts we are willing to take on. I love river trips, but have given up on Class IV-V runs after many bad experiences. I probably have been on my last pack trip too. After rediscovering backpacking and serious big game hunting the future looks bright.

Florida has turned into a nightmare for many with the gators, poisonous snakes, and now the escaped Burmese and Rock pythons large enough to pose a threat to an adult human.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Another son in law just acquired a horse. The pressure is on me now to get horses back here for recreational use and trade the backpacks for panniers. Sounds good in theory but I keep thinking of those long cold winters of caring for the horse when I could be sitting in the house by a cheery fire instead.

ppine

Forester
Grandpa,
As you know having horses is a slippery slope. Just read on another forum 2 guys crunched last week. I like the idea of borrowing someone's horse to pack, and lead it on foot. Nothing to go wrong. Nothing to carry. You don't have to be home twice a day. Pay them something for the use of the critter. Donkeys would be even better.

Pathfinder1

ChadTower;
I used to regularly do things, when I was 17, for which I would call my sons complete dumbasses and consider tying them to a dog pulley in the yard.

I probably defied the odds when I lived to be 19.

Hi...

You and I both. :amen:

jason

fear no beer
Florida has turned into a nightmare for many with the gators, poisonous snakes, and now the escaped Burmese and Rock pythons large enough to pose a threat to an adult human.
I do not see it as a nightmare. Lots of beauty here. I just wish we had mountains though. I miss them. I fear for my safety more when I drive, then when I'm in the wilds.

Boboque

There will always be treats in any environment you are in. We have copperheads, rattlers, and various other snakes as well as black bear, wildcats and now evidently, cougar in our area. There are precautions you take when you go out anywhere.

I was 17 once too, and I'm amazed I got through 19 with just one broken leg. That happened when I decided to try to hang glide without a proper hang glider. I had enough of a chute that I slowed my descent and only broke my leg instead of my neck. I finally learned that I was NOT invincible and that gravity did pertain to me as well as all of the mortals that lived on the Earth. :)

You take the chance anytime you step out of the bed in the morning, of not returning to it that night. I'm glad the kid is alive, you can live without an arm.