Alone on the holiday?

JimBob

Am I the only one that will be alone on Christmas? My girlfriend went back home to visit her family so she won't be around and I'm seeing what family I have in Florida on Christmas Eve. My dad and step-mother are packing up and going on a trip. Christmas is going to be kind of a bummer this time around. Oh well, there is always next year!

catspa

Opposite corner of the CONUS from you, but I'll be alone too. With a fire crackling in the woodstove and a buffalo roast in the crock-pot.

Peaceful, it'll be nice and peaceful.

Parker

Lamebeaver

Contact the Salvation Army, a local church, Volunteer America, or some similar agency and ask if they know of an elderly person who will also be alone on Christmas. Invite them over for dinner, picking them up if necessary.

ponderosa

Our family plans are slipping away, since my four year old has been puking her guts up all day long. I already cancelled Christmas Eve dinner with my husband's family, which was supposed to be at my house. I feel bad about that, since I was doing most of the cooking, but they'll figure something out. We're supposed to travel to my parents' house on Sunday, but the way she looks right now, I very much doubt she'll be well enough. If she is the two year old will probably be sick. So we won't be alone, but we'll probably be enjoying the stomach flu together instead of visiting Grandma.

jason

fear no beer
Our family plans are slipping away, since my four year old has been puking her guts up all day long. I already cancelled Christmas Eve dinner with my husband's family, which was supposed to be at my house. I feel bad about that, since I was doing most of the cooking, but they'll figure something out. We're supposed to travel to my parents' house on Sunday, but the way she looks right now, I very much doubt she'll be well enough. If she is the two year old will probably be sick. So we won't be alone, but we'll probably be enjoying the stomach flu together instead of visiting Grandma.
Wishing you and yours a fast healing from the flu.

Roy

I'm not alone this year but I've spent many years alone on Christmas. I felt bad because I was far away from my family but at least I HAD family...we were just separated by distance. A lot of people don't even have anyone at all and feel lonely all year round.

Lamebeaver

If it's anything like what my son had last week, it will be pretty much over in 24 hours.

Kudos for putting your child's well-being above your family plans. This should go without saying, but unfortunately many parents do not let such inconveniences get in their way.

ppine

Forester
JimBob,

Go find some people you like to be around. Anyone with half a heart will accomodate an "orphan" on Xmas. A friendly tavern will do in a pinch.

JimBob

I'll probably end up going to a church service or something. Man, it's going to be depressing tomorrow. I need to make sure I travel next year or something because I don't want to feel bad about this again. The holidays use to be my favorite time of the year.

IndianaHiker

Jim for the last three of 4 years I have spent Christmas alone and pretty much will this year again. I guess I am different than most as it really doesn't brother me. I will see my mom, sister for a few hours but I will be working most of the day. I am thinking about after see the family for an hour or two heading out for an over night backpacking trip since I don't have to work until 6pm on Monday. Find something to do you like and that will help. Take a hike or whatever you enjoy.

CozInCowtown

Try church service to start out with, then make some phone calls this afternoon to friends and family.
I spent many Christmas away from loved ones but managed to get through it okay.
Have a good'un my friend.
DC