Another newbie, saying Hello !

Bosco

Just joined and have enjoyed reading some of the threads here. I look forward to learning from y'all and maybe even make a few new friends.
I have camped and backpacked my whole life, mostly in the Sierras and California coastal mountains, but have not gotten out the last few years much.
I am now the single (divorced) dad of two adventurous boys who Love camping, so look forward to exploring the outdoors with them as much as possible.

Love this forum and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Bosco

Grandpa

Welcome to the OB forums Bosco. Lot's of good people here. Nothing like camping to draw boys and Dad's together. (Or Grandpa's too)

Bosco

Welcome to the OB forums Bosco. Lot's of good people here. Nothing like camping to draw boys and Dad's together. (Or Grandpa's too)
Thanks, Grandpa !
Yep, most of my best memories as a kid are camping and backpacking with my dad. I'm trying to take my boys back to some of the places I remember as a kid while I still can. Would love to get Grampa out as well, but at 72, he's not as keen as he once was....;) His days of carrying a pack are definitely behind him, but I bet he'd go camping if I could get him up here.

Grandpa

I'm not far off from that 72, five years but my brother in law is 79 or 80 and we are going out for another week in August. For the last 3 or 4 years he said this one is last but......

I just took a 6 yr old granddaughter on her first mountain trek last weekend. Her older brothers keep her parents tied up playing baseball tournaments.

Bosco

Well, you're only as old as you feel, right ? I'm only 48, but startin' to feel old age creeping up on me....sometimes it's not the years, but the milage....:D

I took my dad packing in the Trinity Alps, west of Redding, CA, about 5 years ago. I was amazed at what he could still do, and we had a great trip....but I don't think he'll do it again. It was my older boy's first trip, and he Still talks about it. Beautiful country.
Must go back, soon.

Judy Ann

Good luck getting your dad out Bosco. I tried everything to get my 82 yo father camping with his daughters and granddaughter last week, but he declined. While we missed him, we are glad that he can still play tennis most days. I should say in his defense that he hasn't camped since Korea!

Grandpa, I'm sure that you will always be grateful for baseball and that you and your granddaughter were able to celebrate a great weekend together. Happy Birthday!!!

Grandpa

Grandpa, I'm sure that you will always be grateful for baseball and that you and your granddaughter were able to celebrate a great weekend together. Happy Birthday!!!
Thanks Judy, and yes, it's great that the kids are all sports minded and can compete, except it cuts into their backpacking :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Bosco

Good luck getting your dad out Bosco.
I think he'd go if I could get him up here from So. Cal. I think he misses it more than he thinks. I'd go down there, but he lives out in the high desert.....not my favorite terrain...:tinysmile_tongue_t: He grew up in the Rockies, so the mountains are in his blood !

I love your signature line by the way....it's goin' on my fridge ! ;)

Happy Birthday from me, as well, Grandpa !

oldsarge

Bosco...that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Welcome to the family, I think you'll like it here. Tons of good info here and great experiences shared.

rockytibby

Hi Bosco, my husband and I are also from No. Cali. Our last camping/hiking trip was the McCloud river area. Cant wait to hear about some of your trips. Welcome to the forum.

Bosco

Hey Rocky, thanks for the welcome.
Yeah, the McCloud area is beautiful. I haven't done any camping there, but have been thru there some. My former in-laws live near Fall River Mills, so have seen a lot of that country. Have you been in the Trinity Alps at all ? Similar to the Sierras, but less crowded. Lots of great locations for multi-day trips.

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. I hope all is well over there. Sounds like you have some great boys and father.