Any Fly Fishermen?

Joe S.

Is anybody out there a fly fisherman? If so, how often to you get to go? What are your key stomping grounds? You don't have to say, but I'm curious what your favorite fly is.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I fly fish a few times a year. Mostly I spincast for bass and bluegill or tightline for catfish.

There isn't much in the way of good trout fishing in my immediate area so I fly fish for bluegill and bass. I also fly fish in June for carp. This is the time of year when the mulberries fall into the water and the carp love them. You make a fly that looks like a mulberry, dip it in fruit juice and fish. Carp are incredibly strong swimmers and have terrific stamina. If you hook a ten pound carp on a fly rod, expect to be at it for quite some time. It's awesome.

Frederico

I've recently started fly fishing in Maine with a colleague who is teaching me. I've only been twice, both times to small trout streams. I'm still learning about flies - so will follow this thread with interest.

I have learned two things - the style of fly depends on the bait. Mayflies and caddis need different flies - but don't ask me !

Secondly - flies are expensive !

Joe S.

Maine has some superb fly fishing opportunities. There is much to learn and you are fortunate to have a friend willing to share and teach. Stick with it!

Joe S.

Flies ARE expensive. You might consider learning to tie your own. It's a great thing to be doing in the winter in preparation for fishing season.

Lorax

I used a fly rod for about 98% of my fishing before I moved to WI. Now it's at a pathetic 15%. I really should do more.

I used to help run exclusive trout fishing clubs for a private landholding company where I used to work. I would fish myself downstream or between those and other clubs at least 5-6 days a week after work.

Bambi

Sounds like you like fly fishing quite a bit better than spin fishing? What is it about fly fishing that you enjoy so much? Does it have anything to do with the kind of fish you're after?

gray wolf

i fly fish the black river about 50% of the time ....10% of remaining time i fly fish the salmon river .. both are in north central ny ... i have 155 arces with a great trout stream in it and fish there once in awhile ... 8'6" white river 5 wght ...with a mayfly after the drop .... fresh rainbow for dinner .....

mikepond

I would love to learn but it seems like it might be far out of reach. I am not all that coordinated to start with and I know there is a knack to it, but unsure if its something that I would catch on quickly with.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Sounds like you like fly fishing quite a bit better than spin fishing? What is it about fly fishing that you enjoy so much? Does it have anything to do with the kind of fish you're after?
Not really. It's just different.

And flies are expensive. But not really. You don't have to buy live bait or procure it yourself. And you don't have to rebait your hook.

Also flyfishing allows for pinpoint accuracy casting and, even with a wetfly, allows you to watch the fish strike.

Aesthetics are another factor. Flyfishing is quiet and gracefully serene, until the fish rises and explodes on the topwater.

It's a worthwhile experience.

jason

fear no beer
I've thought about taking the free classes at Bass Pro to learn how to cast and use a fly pole. I would not mind giving it a shot.

Bob

I have been fly fishing off and on for the past twenty years. I love to fly fish in Montana with dry flies. The Adams is my favorite fly. I should practice my casting, but I just want to fish!

Hiking Tiger

Will pillage for mead
I fly fish most of the time I'm out. Bluegill mainly. I do it because I don't like rebaiting after the little thieves take the worms off the hook. ;)

wvbreamfisherman

I love flyfishing! I probably flyfish 80% of the time when I go out. There are lots of small lakes here in WV that are great for catching bluegills and bass on a flyrod. The Cranberry and Williams rivers are primo trout streams too.

You can get teriffic smallmouth fishing on the New and Greenbrier rivers as well.

I've use the flyrod for Atlantic Salmon in Quebec, and perch in Michigan.

Cappy

I been fly fishin since before I could ride a bike. From my great grandfather on down(thats far back as I know) my family has always fly fished. I use popping bugs for bass and bream. When cork and hook fishing for crappie I still use my flyrod. This may anger some flyrod purist but its a great rod for cork fishing. I think fly fishing for bass is kinda like bow hunting for deer. Its primitive and the only thing between you and the fish is string. Not some geared winch.

badkarma

Baby step master
Flyfisher for 40 years. (crap, that number can't be right)
I'm lucky, Taneycomo Lake is 2 miles from my office in Branson MO. I fish at least a couple times a month. Go to Roaring River State Park a couple times a year, but my passion is Bluegill on a 3wt.

I tye my own flies. Wooly Buggers and little foam 'gill flies are my favs,