Appalachian Trail

Charlene

Has anyone hiked the Appalachian trail in it's entirety before? My first boyfriend did it in his early twenties. I only did a few portions in New York and Georgia.

Bradsalex

No but that is my dream hike. I want to be able to do that sooo bad. I hope to be retired from the military by 39 so I should have enough left in me to do it.

jason

fear no beer
I would love to. I doubt my wife would go for it, but it would be great to do.

Ilovelife

I have always wanted to do it. I am just waiting for my life to be just a bit less busy before I take it on. I have always imagined that would be the highlight of my life. One day I will do it.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
That would be an excursion I would love to do! I plan on staying pretty active long after my retirement, so I may just do it one day ... slowly :tinysmile_grin_t:

Got quite a ways to go yet though ....

Darby MountainDog

I will hike anywhere
i would be research is the key. i have been doing research no these trails, Appalachian trail, CDT, PCT, American discovery trail, and there is another that is being build in the northern east part of America, but this whow i look at it..............

Appalachian trail.............good trail, Michigan to vir. your in the woods, north Carolina to Georgia. you are hiking threw open fields. but with technology on the rise in back[packing people are knocking the trail out in 4 months.

cdt..........another good trail but........there multiple routes to take, and some or most of the trail is done on old seasonal roads, or cattle trails. but you do experice all the 4 seasons in one trail.

pct........goes in and out of towns and cities, so the trail is not fully connected. same with the CDT. plus places will charge a fee for holding drop boxes along the trail.

American discovery trail...........across America, but mostly stays to roads and highways, but does connect, with apple trail, and crosses the CDT, and touches the pct, but does split into 2 trails right before Kansas.

the other trail in northern-east of America.......they having a hard time planning thew cities and stuff, some of it is done, but questionable if it will be completed.

mi77915

No but that is my dream hike.......
I have not hiked any part of this trail, but like "Bradsalex" said, It is a dream of mine that I am working towards. I hope to hike at least a section of the AT within the next couple of years.

Tom

HikerChick

I'm hoping to backpack a good portion of the Appalachian Trail with a friend this summer, if we can save up enough money for the trip and to afford the time away from our "real lives," hehe. I'm very excited!

Refrigerator

I'm hoping to backpack a good portion of the Appalachian Trail with a friend this summer, if we can save up enough money for the trip and to afford the time away from our "real lives," hehe. I'm very excited!
If you need any support from NC TN line to Roanoke Va I can give it. I live at Mt Rogers area and support many thru hikers. I also have a very reliable friend in Roanoke who can support you from Roanoke further North...she is a very skilled backpacker and knows the AT well.
When I say support I mean if you have an emergency and can call you have my number ...also I can bring you needed supplies or shuttle you to a mail drop from a trail head and more......When you arrive in Damascus Va, and stay at the Hostel run by Mount Rogers Outfitters...MRO I can pick you up there and carry you to my home some 12 miles away...you can meet my wife and eat very hardy all you can muster down like CARBS.....I do this for several thru hikers every year. You can also get a real long HOT shower or Bath at my home and don't have to worry about the next thru hiker wanting a shower next. I don't charge...all FREE
Later\\Fridge

Itchy_Ivy

I think most people dream of doing this trail. It is like the adventure of a lifetime. I have traveled by car close to some of its points. I particularly love the part that goes through Blue Ridge Mountain. I would like to see the beginning of it as well as the end.