Are you really camping?

I do both, rv and tent camping. Tent camping is great when the weather is good but when rainy, cold and especially off-season, the rv is really nice to go to after a day canoeing or hiking when I am wet or cold. Sleeping off the ground is nice in bad weather too. My favorite camping is on a river gravel bar with my tent, canoe and gear. Good way to get in tune with your natural environment!

Chary

I enjoy camping in a tent or in a vehicle. To me, camping is the opportunity to get away from home and enjoy the outdoors no matter how you do it. The older I get the more I enjoy camping in a motorhome.

fritz01

choice

If you are camping in a trailer it"s called rving ,if your in a tent it is called camping. Depending on the situation I like them both as long as you are out there enjoying where you are.

dinosaur

troublemaker
According to Webster's Dictionary a camp is a place of temporary residence or shelter. An RV may seem like cheating to some but it fits into the temporary classification. I don't have an RV but I do own a camp cabin that is every bit as luxurious as an RV and bigger than most. I still camp in a tent or under the stars, but in my cabin, I'm still camping.

JDSport

I think if you are away from home and either in a cabin or tent or RV you are camping. You are still outdoors and either secluding yourself or spending time with family. I prefer tent camping though.

uncletom

uncletom

It always seemed to me that camping was about being one with nature and sleeping under the stars, but with rv's or trailers you just moved your house closer to nature that's all and it kind of makes me think that people are missing out on the howl idea of camping, am I alone in this?
Well I started out with sheets off our bed as kids, moved up to plastic, and tarp. Went on to tents, then pop-ups. Now a full camper. Nothing fancy, but quick to set up, because were hardly ever there, except at night. At 62, im looking for the easier way of camping, and its all been camping to me.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Betty

We lived in our travel trailer for 16 months while we built our house, and there is NO doubt in my mind that it is indeed camping!

ChadTower

Who cares what it's called? The point is that people are doing it and having fun.

I'm a very frequent tent camper. With a wife and two kids it is enough gear that it completely fills my pickup bed. The idea of a popup that is always ready to hook up and drive away is appealing from a packing perspective. Towards the end of the year I get awfully tired of packing the truck every thursday night and unpacking it every sunday or monday night. Can't say I would want electricity, or to sleep in the trailer, but being able to keep everything staged and ready to go would be awesome.

Charles

My two options is- truck tent in remote areas and a small trailer that's used as 'basecamp'. The travel trailer is useful as a point of departure to get access to a lot more areas that I may not be able to do so just with a tent, i.e. supplies, water etc. Not to mention it's a better way to introduce my kid to being outdoors and possibly gain some love and respect for it without being too uncomfortable And it's not quite a million dollar Provost motorcoach- THAT is not camping!

However I do sometimes miss the days of 7 day backcountry pack trips with a foam roll and bag on the ground sometimes...

Yogi

I think it's all relative. Compared to living in a permanent structure, a camper is more primitive. Compared to a camper, a tent is more primitive.

Lorax

When the weather is just too nasty for some backpacking, or we just want to take it a little easy, we take our pop-up out to national forest campgrounds or dispersed camping sites and set it up as a basecamp. No electric or water hook ups, totally dry and self sufficient. We won't even go to a state campground.
It's a nice option sometimes and we'll hike from it, bring mtn bikes or a canoe on top for some activities.

ejdixon

Personally, camping is pretty much relative. I've done a couple of RVing with my folks since they got their trailer a couple of years back. For them, it was a camping adventure. But for me, nothing beats being able to laze around outside under the stars without the fancy stuff. But in the end, it's the fact that you spend some time out in the city and outdoors is what counts.

oldsarge

If it's away from home and out of the normal routine, I consider it camping. Even a cabin in the woods, I would consider as a form of camping. To each his own, just enjoy it to the fullest.

ejdixon

If it's away from home and out of the normal routine, I consider it camping. Even a cabin in the woods, I would consider as a form of camping. To each his own, just enjoy it to the fullest.
Well said, oldsarge.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

ponderosa

I certainly don't have any issue with others who feel that they're camping with their RV or pop-up. But, personally, the few times I've joined friends for a few days in their RV at a campground, I most definitely did not feel that I'd been camping. I felt like I was spending a few days in a pleasantly located trailer court. A night in a primitive spot without the benefit of electricity or water hook-ups, or a generator, would come closer to camping for me. And for my own definitions, a cabin is a pleasantly rustic motel which happens to be in the woods. I really enjoy staying in a remote cabin, especially in the winter, but I definitely don't consider those times to be camping.

ppine

Forester
What you describe is really a form of reverse snobbery.

Once I got older and had some bionic body parts, sleeping in a trailer especially in cold weather is real luxury. It is important to realize that being in the outdoors is a very personal experience. Having a trailer extends the camping season to all year. It really appeals to the wife. I still tent camp often, using a wall tent and stove for hunting and long trips.

Much to my surprise, many RVers that leave home for the winter or other long trips, spend the days out exploring often with bikes, inflatable boats, or on foot and spend the night in the rig. To each his own.

If you really want to be close to nature, don't use a tent and just roll out. It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of your preferences. There are no right answers. When I was younger, there was no way I ever thought I would own a travel trailer.

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

Well when I roll I don't bring a tent. Just a tarp if it looks like I might get wet. However I am not a car camper as I don't have that type of gear. Yes I have met friends at an RV park before and you should see the looks I get when I cowboy camp there. Kind of funny actually. However I would say I agree with what OldSarge said if you are away from home and out of normal routine. Heck whats the real difference between backpacking, hiking and, and going for a walk for that matter.

beemerphill

If you call it camping, it is camping. The color TV and microwave thing is not for me either, but to the people in that trailer, it is camping. More power to them, and I hope that they enjoy the experience. My preference is a tent, and to some that is kind of wussy-they use a tarp, and consider me a wimp for using the tent. The reality is, we are all enjoying the outdoors, and we are all camping.
As I grow older, and my body falls apart more, I will probably get a thicker Thermorest, and after that gets too hard, a trailer is not out of the question, and if that doesn't hack it, a cabin will have to do.

ejdixon

Who cares what it's called? The point is that people are doing it and having fun.

I'm a very frequent tent camper. With a wife and two kids it is enough gear that it completely fills my pickup bed. The idea of a popup that is always ready to hook up and drive away is appealing from a packing perspective. Towards the end of the year I get awfully tired of packing the truck every thursday night and unpacking it every sunday or monday night. Can't say I would want electricity, or to sleep in the trailer, but being able to keep everything staged and ready to go would be awesome.
Well said, Chad! I couldn't agree more. Whether you do it using a tent or a camper, it's the fact that people still go out and have fun that's what counts.