Bear moving dumpsters

Grandpa

Memo to self; Self, don't go dumpster diving in Colorado Springs. Too much competition there.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Reed

That's pretty resourceful. He even moved one while walking backwards, so something tells me this wasn't his first time doing this.

On a side note, I don't think it's very nice for the restaurant owners to put the break table next to the dumpsters. It has to smell back there if you think about it.

cabinfever

Dude is probably trying to discourage employees from taking long breaks. LOL.

Bears aren't something we see in my area. Much too civilized and citified around here. It's mostly smaller wildlife like fox, possum and the occasional coyote that we might encounter.

Pathfinder1

Was he the same one on the jet ski?

Hi...

Interesting.

Even the TV news stations...the ones that never lie :tinysmile_hmm_t: showed that one, but they led you to believe more than was actually shown.

It took place in AK, and I believe that the bear was just curious about that 'thing" moored to the end of the dock...as they sometimes do with snow machines...which, by the way...they sometimes like to munch on...!!

Great photo op though.

carmen

We see all sorts of restaurants in our area that put break tables there, it has to be horrid for the workers. Now that bear, he is a pretty wise one. And here we thought only the owl was the wisest in the woods.

CaverGroupie

Bears are scary smart. While we were in Yosemite camping, we locked things up in "bear boxes" which are metal safes held to the ground with concrete. We used strong locks. The bears knew to check to see if they were really locked!

ppine

Forester
This video misses the obvious. They need locking dumpsters that are bear proof. Otherwise their problem will never go away. I was just in Anacortes, WA visiting my auntie from Alaska. She told me the story of the bears near Homer that figured out how to use one claw to "unzip" the weather stripping around the windshields of cars to gain access to the contents.

Back in the 70s I was working in Yosemite Valley on a contract with the NPS. Every morning outside Curry Cabins, there was a bear in the dumpster having breakfast. I walked past him and he knew my voice after a couple of days and didn't even look up. Now the dumpsters have locks and those kinds of bears are no longer there.

Grandpa

All the dumpsters out here in the campgrounds and parks are bearproof. Let me rephrase that. The bears will probably figure out how to open them before some of us humans do. Strangely, we have bearproof food boxes in the Jed Smith Wilderness but not in Yellowstone or Teton NP back country camps. The Jed lays on the west slope of the Tetons, right below Yellowstone Park. The Teton national forest also has bear boxes right on the other side of Teton NP and right below Yellowstone.