Bobbers!

T

tentrus

Are you a bobber user? I have used a fishing bobber my whole life and now my friends are picking on me. They told me only kids use bobbers, I said well then how would I know if the fish was biting and stealing my worm? Please tell me that I’m not the only bobber user.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Your friends don't know much about fishing. Bobbers are extremely useful tools. That is why they are made in seemingly limitless styles and sizes. The greatest advantage afforded by the bobber is it allows you to cast into areas your boat won't go and suspend the bait at the proper level to catch the fish at their current depth. Schooling fish will suspend themselves at certain levels depending on food supply, water temperature and structure. The bobber allows you to hit these depths perfectly. Since some fish are very sensitive to resistance, the size and shape of the bobber will allow you to catch them unaware.

Tell your friends this: More record fish have been caught employing a bobber and live bait than any other rig.

There are lots of other ways to fish and you should try them all. They are fun and extremely effective for certain species. But if you stop using a bobber because your simpleton peers are too stupid to do the research, you are going to have some very bad days fishing.

ChadTower

Yeah, don't listen to those people. Anyone who tells you that something you like, and that works, is "just for kids" is not worth hearing out. A wise person uses any and all methods available.

jason

fear no beer
I use them depending on the fish I'm going after. I see nothing wrong with them. They can be a great tool when fishing.

Kepper

Wanderer
If you call them a "float", it will sound more expert!

Depending on the fish you are after and the situatio, they are extremely effective. If you like it, do it.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Bobbers are very good for certain locations, however I'm partial to a

Swivel snap -> slide weight -> swivel -> bait.

This way I can remove the slide weight which slides letting you know you've got a bite by letting your poll bend and dance!

That's how you know when you're getting a bite, by watching your poll and the fishing line, a good angler should be able to tell when he\she is about to get a bite from the way the line is just prior.