BP Oil Spill Now

Little Kitty

This Summer, I took a trip to the Gulf of Mexico. I was wary, at first due to the BP oil spill. I saw commercials on television, that said the Gulf was fixed and good to vacation at now. However, while I was shell hunting in the shallow part of the ocean, near the beach, I kept pulling up tarballs! I made a nice little pile on the beach, and took the tarballs to the trash, when I left the beach. I started wondering how safe it actually was to swim in the Gulf. I also remember thinking, the color if the ocean water was off. It seemed darker, like lake water. Even after so long, I am not sure the ocean is safe to swim in. What do you think?

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Im sure its fine. the government says so. And they say there's global warming too...

trust your instincts.
my father has a house in pensacola. i'll probably go swimming when I get back that way. I just dont swim in the ocean much period. between salt, sand, and jellyfish, id rather be in my hot tub.

jason

fear no beer
I moved to Florida in '92. I'm north of Tampa, and did not see any oil in the area. But what I can tell you is the water was so much nicer in '92. Around '99/'00 the water started to take a turn for the worse. Not sure happened then, but there was talk about how bad the water has gotten.

Miley

I visited a friend in Gulf Shores, and also came upon the tar balls. I thought I stepped on something funny in the water, reached down to pick it up, and was grossed out. At first, I did not know what the sticky black ball was, but my friend told me he finds the tar balls all the time. It is truly horrible, what us humans have done to ruin such a beautiful ecosystem!

ejdixon

I'd personally check out first with the locals if they go swimming there. If they themselves won't want to step in the water, no way will I dare try.

catspa

"Us humans", Miley? Just what part did you have in making the decisions that led to the BP disaster? Me neither.

No more than "us motorists" kill innocent people by drunk driving, or "us gun owners" caused the Virginia Tech tragedy. Those were all the result of specific actions by specific people, who solely should bear the blame.

There are some people who have a big vested interest in "us" accepting cumulative guilt, but I don't buy it. Not in matters of religion, not in ethnic discrimination, and certainly not in the case of the BP oil spill.

Parker

DylanT

Yeah bit if we all took some responsibility rather than it not being "our problem" we would pull some people in line.

catspa

Supposedly a government agency was regulating their activities, but we know how that often turns out.

I'd like to hear specific ways we could "take some responsibility" for corporate decisions made without our input.

Parker

Lamebeaver

Oil is an organic substance and eventually, all of these tar balls will be attacked by bacteria and dissipate.

Look at all of the tankers along the east and gulf coast that were sunk by U-boats during WW II. Yes, that was 40 years ago, but that's hardly a tick of the clock in geological time.

As far as taking responsibility, our insatiable desire for petroleum products such as gasoline and plastics is the driving force pushing the oil companies. The easy stuff is all gone, that leaves us with less desirable alternatives, such as deep water wells, fracking and tar sand.

Mary Beth

I think Miley is right. No, we are not responsible for BP, but we are responsible for our use of petroleum. People are addicted to their consumption based lifestyle, and it tends to ruin the earth.

oldsarge

I think Miley is right. No, we are not responsible for BP, but we are responsible for our use of petroleum. People are addicted to their consumption based lifestyle, and it tends to ruin the earth.
I agree, it's a vicious circle! We're doing it to ourselves one way or another. What can you do? It applies to everything, our food, energy sorces, water...look at what's going on with finding different energy sources. Now they force liquids into the ground (fracking) and force up gas. Well water is contaminated in some places. It seems like no matter what anyone does to come up with another answer, someone else is finding a way to exploit it and make a ton of cash. It all comes back to bite us in the ass!

catspa

MaryBeth, I see your point, to a point. However, it's somewhere between inaccurate and meaningless to speak of people as a whole because individuals choices of consumption vary so widely, and the only place human consumption is successfully reduced to zero is in the cemetary. If you're implying that others are more frivolous and wasteful than yourself, I wish you'd do so in a more specific manner, because to imply it generally is kinda misleading at best. Each person must choose for themself where to conserve and how much, and bear whatever blame attaches for their remaining resource usage.

As you know, back at the turn of the century (1900 or so) when the petroleum industry was first getting started, the major cities of the east coast especially suffered from pollution that most today would consider unbearable. It piled high in the alleyways and was the cause of significant sickness and infection, even death in certain cases. Horse manure posed a huge filth and sanitation problem to urban dwellers by it's concentration. The automobile was viewed by many as an almost miraculous solution at that time.

I mentioned in another thread that I drive a 1-ton Chevy truck with a 350 V8, which gets about 11 or 12 miles to the gallon. You might think on that basis that I'm environmentally terrible, a big-time waster of petroleum extracts (I hope you'd take mercy on the fact that I frequently need to haul 40 bags of concrete or 50 2x12 floor joists or 60 sheets of drywall). However, other people know that I keep my 350 square foot cabin at about 58-60 degrees in the winter, and they say "that Parker, he's using less heating fuel than anybody around."

I have an acquaintance that is so proud that she bought a hybrid car, you'd think she was single-handedly saving the planet. Yet when I tell her "Well, so you're using more hydropower, which you believe is killing fish, and if you were on the east coast, you'd be using more coal-fired electricity, which pollutes the air..." she gets all cranky.

My point is, not all people face the same problems, hold the same priorities, or choose the same solutions. All energy has an "extraction price", to deliver it to the customer in a usable form. The ratio between the different kinds fluctuates with the respective markets, and we adjust to that as best we can. We don't all do it alike, so saying "people are addicted to their consumption based lifestyle" (even if largely true) is a gross generalization, and bound to end up in error.

Parker

dinosaur

troublemaker
I have to agree with Lamebeaver. And there are a few other things I've learned. The Earth abides. Man is not as powerful as he thinks he is. And if you believe anything the goverment tells you, you are a fool.

Grandpa

This whole discussion reminds me of an article in BP magazine a couple years ago entitled "How Green are You". They asked a series of questions that had a supposed green answer and a not green answer. It really irritated me because their experts really had no clue what was involved. For example, a typical question; You want to buy a new base layer shirt, which is greener, a poly moisture wicking tech shirt or a cotton shirt. Their answer was the cotton shirt because the poly shirt is made from oil. In other words, the idiots had no idea how much diesel fuel it takes to run those big farm machines or how much dirt is put into the atmosphere while tilling the soil to raise the cotton, whereas the poly is actually a by product of oil, therefore eliminating waste.

Too many people see a part of a problem and think there is an obvious answer without seeing all that is involved or getting to the root cause of a problem. To me, the root cause of the BP disaster is not BP or our consumption of oil but the corruption of our elected officials to regulate and manage our resources.

catspa

The environmental arena is filled with conflicting claims and accusations, some of which are driven by desire for revenue more than concern for the earth, and others which are made by people who just don't know what they're talking about. It's not always easy to sort through the crap and find the truth, but the more we understand the actual processes in play, the less likely we are to end up believing something stupid.

Honestly, do we want to solve problems or just make ignorance feel good? Understanding the demands and effects of industrial processes is necessary for developing effective solutions.

Parker