Buying a Boat

Cutter

Recently I have been looking around to purchase a salt water fishing boat for around $1500 on craigslist. However, I know virtually nothing about boats. Can you offer me some tips about what to look for in a good boat.

jason

fear no beer
To be honest, I don't know what kind of boat you may get for that. You might be able to get a small boat for that. Not sure what kind of condition it would be in. I would make sure there is not rot on the boat. Floors are in good shape and no soft spots in there. Make sure the hull is in good shape, no major dings, no cracks and holes. Make sure the motor works ok. Make sure the water flow through the motor is cooling it down properly. I would also look and make sure there is no electrical wiring problems.

failghe

How handy are you? Boats in that price range will need some work. As jason said make sure there are no soft spots in floor, walk, jump, on it make sure it is solid. If it has carpet, see if you could pull it up to really see the deck. Does the motor pee when runnning? If so it should not be hot, that tells you that the impeller is working and cooling properly. Pull off one spark plug at a time while motor is runing "be careful" the motor should not run really rough. That tells you if all cylinders are good. Outboards are going to be easier and cheeper than inboards to work on. Try to go for a test run. Don't forget about the condition of the trailer if there is one. And take a power squadron boating course. Boat= Break Out Another Thousand.

Bushman

Well that would depend on what kind of boat we are talking about.

If we are talking about a 12 footer with an outboard that might be fair, if we are talking about a 30 footer RUN.

Personally I would not ever buy a car or a boat online without being able to see it or test drive it.

campernewbie

This is something I will need to study up for. You know how people once married for so long want to get something great for an anniversary? Mine wants a boat and I have no idea what I am looking for but he does deserve it. Something small for our family of 4, maybe 6 if we brought some extras.

4x4

If you do not know anything about boats, I would think you'd be well off to go find a friend or coworker who does know about them and help you make the choice. I'm not sure I'd trust anything on Craigslist either, have you checked AutoTrader for one? They have a magazine just for atv's boats and campers.