California State Parks

2coastcamper

Are there many people from California on here?

Some may know, but as a measure to reduce the budget deficit, California is considering closing 220 state parks. This would, I think, be devastating to outdoors enthusiasts in the state. Sure, there are nationals parks and regional/county parks. But to just up and cut funding for 220 state parks would sure put a dent in the outdoor locales I visit.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I must also say that I'm a reporter at a newspaper in norther California in addition to being an outdoors nut. I'm working on a story about this situation. I joined OB.com as a possible way to meet other campers/hikers/etc. in the NorCal area to gauge people's opinions on the matter.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

jason

fear no beer
I haven't made it past the Mississippi that much. Maybe 2 or 3 times. I would love to visit some parks over there. Sadly this seems to be something happening all over the country. I was talking with someone who works for the Hillsborough County near me. They said they have money for 26 new parks to be built. They have about 200 parks country wide, most are little parks however, with baseball or soccer fields. But they are having money problems maintaining them. He went on to say how they cannot touch the money for the new parks to help maintain the parks they have already.

2coastcamper

I talked to a guy on Thursday about the possible closure of the park where he works. He's got two kids, and doesn't know if he'll have a job after Labor Day. Another bummer of the economy.

Hunter

That is downright shameful. Do your parks not charge a parking fee to help offset costs? I hate to see any of our wonderful parks close. With the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it is vital to our well-being and peace of mind to be able to retreat back to our national and state parks. There has got to be some way to save them.