Carrying A Small Dog

Camoguy

We have a small Chihuahua my wife wants to take on a hike with us. One of us will probably wind up carrying her though since she is so small. Any recommendations on a carrying device such as a harness or something of the sort?

Judy Ann

We have a small Chihuahua my wife wants to take on a hike with us. One of us will probably wind up carrying her though since she is so small. Any recommendations on a carrying device such as a harness or something of the sort?
Don't they make a small dog bag that you could hang off your shoulder? My small dog hikes with me and only gets carried if injured or because the rocks we are scrambling to climb are too large for her. You may want to get your dog used to being on long walks in similar terrain before you take her on trails. Also always keep it on a leash.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Bring a leash and once it wants to stop walking just drag it by the neck :).

PS, a Chihuahua is not a dog, its a dog treat.

ChadTower

It would make a good distraction if they do come across a predator. Keep the dog in a sling, and if you see a mountain lion, sling the dog towards the lion and run the other way.

Grandpa

OUCH!!! I was wondering if hawks, eagles and owls could carry a dog that small away?
Yes, the full grown ones can. Also, coyotes and foxes are territorial and will kill an intruding dog just for being there if they can.

campfire

I think I would also leave it home. If it can't keep up, it's not going to get any exercise, it can't enjoy the view, so there is very little point in taking it.

If she's set on taking it, I can't believe I'm even going to suggest this but if the dog will sit still, get a baby sling carrier. It can sit in the pouch of the sling easily.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I think I would also leave it home. If it can't keep up, it's not going to get any exercise, it can't enjoy the view, so there is very little point in taking it.

If she's set on taking it, I can't believe I'm even going to suggest this but if the dog will sit still, get a baby sling carrier. It can sit in the pouch of the sling easily.
If my wife\gf said we're taking a dog and we'd probably have to carry it she'd be the one carrying it, she wanted it along she can deal with the little terd with legs. :).

I dislike small dogs ;).

LittleLady

I do have to laugh at the picture in my head, a woman with a baby sling hiking through the woods with a little chihuahua head sticking out! It would work though, good idea.

Grandpa

I do have to laugh at the picture in my head, a woman with a baby sling hiking through the woods with a little chihuahua head sticking out! It would work though, good idea.
On a couple of occasions I have seen little dogs riding on/in/around a backpack but for the most part, the little yappers are trying to yap at anything else out there.

greentea

Comments about why you want to keep a rat as pet are racing through my mind, but that doesn't help you with anything so I'll keep them to myself. Why don't you just put it in a small backpack and hang the pack in front of you, that way you can carry your regular backpack and you can see if the dog jumps out of it.

Camoguy

I know it's not much of a dog, but I'm kinda fond of it too. :redface: She's well behaved and we have taken her camping but not out on a hike. I'm going to investigate the sling theory and see if I can find one especially for dogs. The little thing won my heart when she ran off a feral cat that was stalking one of our cats. I didn't notice it but she did and she ran it off. I was astonished but this little one has the heart of a lion. I guess a dog is a dog no matter what the size. :fear:

Judy Ann

Kyjen Sling Go Pet Sling

Check out this sling. It looks like it would work with a pack and your dog would be comfortable and cool too. You might want to consider a harness for your dog in case you had to scoop her up quickly to keep her out of trouble or to ford a stream.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Years ago my Dad took my Mom's dog Tina (a white toy fox terrier) with him on a camping trip. Luckily he also took my dog (a fifty pound beast) with him.

A young bald eagle swooped down and grabbed Tina. My dog attacked and the bald released Tina and flew off. Dad extended his camping trip until Tina had completely healed. My Mom never knew about it.

Hikebike

Wow, now this one was funny. I do have to agree that I would leave it home too. I'm not a fan of small dogs! We have a boxer and she hikes with us from time to time. She never tires before us - so I don't have a chance if we come across a mountain lion (not in my area).

WalkingMan

We have a Pyrenees that travels with us. She is huge and is really very formidable looking even though she's a big softie. We have been on a lot of trips together and I'm looking forward to many more. I love going with my dog. She's a comfort and a source of protection to a certain extent.

Camoguy-as far as the small dog going along, take her/him. Dogs of any size are a blessing and a comfort. I don't have a small one but I love dogs of all sizes.

Valdaree

I really don't see the point in taking an animal that won't walk all the way. It's like carrying an extra pack of beer that you won't drink, but you just know you like it!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Comments about why you want to keep a rat as pet are racing through my mind, but that doesn't help you with anything so I'll keep them to myself.
Greentea, I applaud your effort. But, I think you may have failed. Still, I got a kick out of it.