Christmas tree farm

TakeAHike

So if you get a live tree for Christmas, where do you get it from? Do you go to a lot where they are already pre-cut? Do you head out to the woods and chop one down in the wild? We went to a tree farm and walked about a mile out to find the perfect tree.

BGreen

We went to the Farmer's Market. The trees there were freshly cut and brought down from the North Carolina mountains a day or two earlier. Our tree smells wonderful and I know it's as fresh as possible.

jason

fear no beer
Due to allergies and little ones we use fake trees. I would love a real one however and will be groveling, errr, talking to the wife about getting a real one in a few years when the kids are older. However I hear there is a tree farm maybe an hour or two away that you walk down the rows and chop down the one you want.

Otherwise there are people selling trees on most busy intersections around here. Even grocery stores have a small selection.

Grandpa

Most times we go to the forest and cut our own. This year we bought a precut at the grocery store that came from a tree farm.

Cappy

We were in NW New York one year visiting grand kids. It was after Thanksgiving so our camper and suv was crammed full of presents that we brought to sprinkle around among the families. My oldest step son got us to follow him and his family to a tree farm to pick their tree. First Christmas farm dis country cajun boy had eva seen.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t It was snowing that day and we rode around among the rows of trees found one and cut it down with a bow saw. Being a newbee I was facinated by the contraption they were sticking trees in and they were coming out the other end compacted into a net. I tried to push son into the contraption to se if he would come out netted but I guess he kinda expected it and well das a long story of fun in the snow. A rare treasured memory for a deep southern Cappy.

ppine

Forester
As a forester I am in favor of harvesting trees in the wild, and commercial tree farms. I don't get fake trees. It is like having a fake life.

Trees are the original renewable resource. They are carbon neutral and release the exact amount of carbon when burned that they have accumulated over their lifetimes.

Use paper bags we can grow more. Plastic bags are made from petroleum which is what we like to fight over.

Snuggles

When I was a kid, we did just exactly what you suggest ppine. Dad had a few acres of woodlands and we spent one Sunday afternoon close to Christmas covering all of it in search of the perfect tree. Mom always looked for running cedar too. Our house smelled so good!!

LunaticFringeInc

I got mine at Home Depot this year...a living Christmas Tree that is. Hopefully my green thumb can keep it alive and thriving between now and next Christmas. Hopefully it will be much bigger and better trimmed and look nicer next year

WillaMarie

I love to have a real tree and it just depends from year to year. Most of the trees you buy at stores and very expensive. We had a tree farm near us one year that let everyone cut their own but they aren't doing that now. We went into the woods this year and got one. It's a cute tree and not a real big one.

Marshmallow

We have had an artificial tree for the last few years. Before that, we had live trees I bought from a nearby commercial tree place because they delivered them. We did get a real one this year, and it's waiting on the back stoop to be put up as soon as we can get to it. I hope it will be up before nightfall.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Lowes. They are the cheapest around and the trees look pretty good. There are some of those fly-by-night corner lot tree people that come in and set up and charge close to $100 for an 8 foot tree. Lowes? $40. And I don't have to drag in into the attic, just chuck it in the woods with the rest of the yard debris to feed the termites.

TakeAHike

The place we go to charges $40 and we cut our own. They wrap in that same baler Cappy was talking about so that we can get it home and in the house. Then if we take it back to them after Christmas to be tree-cycled (they mulch it and use it in their nursery) we get a coupon for a free tree to plant in the yard in the spring.