Close Encounters

Jimbo

Has anyone ever (while camping) had an encounter or close encounter with a dangerous creature? Like a poisonous snake perhaps? Have you ever put your foot in a boot full of scorpions?

jason

fear no beer
The only thing I can think of one time is I was fishing and came across either a Coral, or King snake. To be honest, I did not sit there and try and figure out which, I just backed away and left the area. He was hiding in a hole and did not want provoke it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There is no such thing as a poisonous snake. All of them are edible. Some, however, are venomous.

I did kill a rattler when I was twelve. I haven't run into one since. But, I'm quite a bit older and know how to avoid them.

Fox38

Nope, I woke up one morning and there were deer in the campsite. It was pretty cool the neighbor camper was feeding them. They did say that the bears had been through the night before but we were sleeping.

TribalP

I did kill a rattler when I was twelve. I haven't run into one since. But, I'm quite a bit older and know how to avoid them.
Wow, that's wonderful Dinosaur. How did you kill the snake? Did it fight a lot? I would never mess with rattle snakes, for God's sake! I am OK with other types of snake, but not rattle snakes.

Stoker

The only snakes I ever see are the harmless one's. I never really thought about it before, but I don't think I've ever really had any close encounters.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Wow, that's wonderful Dinosaur. How did you kill the snake? Did it fight a lot? I would never mess with rattle snakes, for God's sake! I am OK with other types of snake, but not rattle snakes.
I shot it in the head and barbequed it for dinner.

Greenjack

That's great Dinosaur. You sound like the highlander who beheads his opponents to get their quickenings LOL. So, as you said that no snake is poisonous, rattle snakes are edible, right?

dinosaur

troublemaker
All snakes are edible. You cut off the head (It's a quickening experience.), Grab the skin at the point where you cut the head off, and pull it toward the tail. It will generally peel off like a sock that is stuck to your foot after a day's hiking. If it doesn't peel easily, dip it into boiling water for a few seconds. After skinning, you gut it. That's easy. Cut it into sections and skewer them like shish-ka-bob. You can add seasoning but drawn butter works pretty well. They are very much like lobster but a much cleaner animal. Remember also that the average snake has something in excess of 270 sets of ribs. These come out easily after cooking.

Again, for those of you who wouldn't eat snake because you think they are yukky, but would devour a lobster tail dinner, think about it. A lobster is a filthy animal. It is the buzzard of the sea and dines on rotted carrion. A snake kills what it eats and dines on fresh meat. If you are what you eat, a lobster is rotting corrupt flesh. Whereas, a snake is all fresh ingredients.

Have a nice day.

faye

I saw a spider walking its way to my right boot but I stomped on it before it got me. The crawling creature that I killed was similar to a Brown Recluse spider. Whew.

oldsarge

In Panama I walked up on a large Panther with it's kill, It was about 30 feet from me as I walked out from around an outcropping of rocks. We made eye contact and the cat just made this loud hissing sound. I started to walk backwards to break contact but there were others behind me preventing me from moving back around the rocks out of sight. The cat grabbed his food and ran off as I was being pushed back out by the group I was with. I guess when the cat seen more people showing up it decided to move on. I don't think it would have attacked me if I was alone, unless of course I attempted to get closer near the food.