Coffee!

ejdixon

I agree with you, dino. It's not just the strength of the coffee that differs. The taste is also different, and the smell...I think I better go and brew me some right now. :)

Hikenhunter

I am awful picky about my coffee. Instant just doesn't cut it. Those tea bag things make a decent brew but I usually have to use two to get any real coffee flavor out of them. The thing is, if you have some perc grind or drip grind coffee available, you boil some water in a pot with the grinds in it. Once it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and let it set for a few minutes. The grounds will settle to the bottom. Then you pour it off carefully into a cup. Good stuff.
Try boiling the bag in your pot instead of pouring boiling water in a cup with the bag. The longer you boil it the stronger it gets. I use the bags when backpacking when we car camp I use a percolater on my propane stove and the same coffee that I use at home.

wvbreamfisherman

I generally don't bother with coffee when backpacking. I just put a bunch of different flavored tea bags in a baggie so brew with hot water. I don't care much for cream or milk in my tea so I don't have that complication. I think tea brews faster than coffee, too.

For car camping I have a Revereware copper-bottomed stainless steel percolator. I', probably hopelessly old-fashioned, but I've always liked percolator coffee- I guess because that's what I grew up with.

ppine

Forester
Compared to no coffee, even Folger's average grocery store beans rate about an 8 in the outdoors. Simple is good.

I went on a pack trip in the Sierras once for about a week. Somebody else arranged for the food as it was a commercial trip. No one remembered coffee. People were sitting around the morning cook fire the next day looking stunned. A kid saddled up and rode back to the station to get some and returned that night. It was about 25 miles total for him, but we were back to normal. A week later during the last few 100 yards of the trip, there were signs in the trees like- Forget something? Coffee anyone? It was pretty funny at the time.

TroyS

That was really nice of the kid to go through all that way to get you guys some coffee. I really can't imagine going on a camping trip without some coffee, or anywhere for that matter. It's what really gets me going through the day.

tadpole

Instant French Press Coffee

I know that everyone here loves coffee and you probably cannot go camping without coffee. There is a better way than instant and I guarantee you that you will never go back. My wife is really into this tea thing. Afternoon English tea-the whole 9 yards.

She has this Finum stainless steel mesh tea infuser. I did some research online about using it for brewing coffee. MSR markets the same thing and calls it the Mug Mate. MSR doubles the price. I just ordered a large one from Amazon and have been using it for nearly 2 weeks at home. It weighs a few ounces and brews coffee French Press style. There is no difference as I "press" the coffee grounds with a spoon as I lift the infuser out of my mug.

Why carry instant unless you are really concerned about the weight? The brewed coffee tastes so good. It's piping hot because you brew it in your own mug.

finum(dot)com/permanent-tea-filters.htm

btatro

Starbucks Via, a good way to start any day out on a desert reef...
Also a fan of Starbucks via... the caramel is delish. I am not a big coffee drinker so I would prefer some good creamer, but this I like plain.

eyebp

Senator
Hi, retardonwheels.. I've got a feeling that you'll fit right in...!!

I hope there's an interesting story behind the name?

Now...back to the coffee...am I the only poster who doesn't have that addiction?
Nope. I kicked that addictions butt a couple of years ago. (BTW:Tomorrow will be 2 Weeks nicotine free)

mariaandrea

I don't even want to contemplate camping without coffee. Ok, fine, living without coffee. *shudder*

For car camping I bring along my frech press. As long as you can boil water you'll have gourmet coffee in 5 minutes. French presses are brilliant and easy and make fantastic coffee. I drink it black, so it's even easier.

If I were backpacking I'd see if could fit the individual size french press in the backpack. It's not much bigger than a large cup. But if I couldn't, I'd take a supply of Starbucks VIA. I hate instant coffee. I don't even like canned coffee, like Folgers. But, VIA is actually not bad at all. More like real coffee than instant in taste, but convenient because it's instant.

Pathfinder1

eyebp;

Nope. I kicked that addictions butt a couple of years ago. (BTW:Tomorrow will be 2 Weeks nicotine free).

Hi...

I know what it's like. Keep up the good work...and before long you'll be able to smell the flowers again...!! Congratulations on your two weeks...!! STAY WITH IT.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I actually like an ocassional cup of coffee...just not addicted to it.

When I was aboard ship, I never could figure out how so many of the guys could drink the swill that they did...especially the guys in the engine rooms. You'd swear it came directly from the bilges...!!

eyebp

Senator
eyebp;

Nope. I kicked that addictions butt a couple of years ago. (BTW:Tomorrow will be 2 Weeks nicotine free).

Hi...

I know what it's like. Keep up the good work...and before long you'll be able to smell the flowers again...!! Congratulations on your two weeks...!! STAY WITH IT.
Thanks! Done smoking. Every once in a while I will get a cup of joe though. Maybe 3-4 times a year.

oldsarge

Nope. I kicked that addictions butt a couple of years ago. (BTW:Tomorrow will be 2 Weeks nicotine free)
Great job eyebp!

Stopped coffee about a month ago, have been staring back up on decaf because I really miss it. Caffeine is not agreeing with me anymore. I cut back on my cigars from two a day to one a week. I'm jones'n big time!

eyebp

Senator
Great job eyebp!

Stopped coffee about a month ago, have been staring back up on decaf because I really miss it. Caffeine is not agreeing with me anymore. I cut back on my cigars from two a day to one a week. I'm jones'n big time!
Good deal!!

TroyS

A friend of ours recently gave us this coffee gift set she got from UCC. It came with single serve coffee packets and the best part was that it came with this disposable filter that you can attach to your mug or tumbler and then just pour the hot water and let it drip. Really nifty.

JeepThrills

I use the coffee packets by Hill Bro's. Like a tea bag but better. I've also used regular instant but got tired of carrying around the bottle.
I just discovered the coffee packets about a week ago! I didn't even know you could fix coffee that way. When I am camping, it seems like I actually prefer hot tea, but will drink coffee if someone else is making it.

ejdixon

A friend of ours recently gave us this coffee gift set she got from UCC. It came with single serve coffee packets and the best part was that it came with this disposable filter that you can attach to your mug or tumbler and then just pour the hot water and let it drip. Really nifty.
That really sounds so handy, Troy. I wonder if that is available here. Would really love to get my hands on some of those and give those a try.

TroyS

ej, I'm not sure if it is available here. I'm actually scouting around to see if I can find some around. If I do, I'll let you know.