Coolest thing you have seen outdoors

HereToday

We used to live in an area where there were houses nearly 100 years old, and a few derelict barns. Often we would hear a strange clicking sound outside, and one night we ran out to investigate. It was a big snowy oil in flight, going right over our house! After that, whenever we heard clicking we'd all charge outside, and watch the owl. Very cool!
In the same town, my daughter and I were riding the bus when someone called on the bus' radio for assistance. Actually the call went out to all of the town radios. Anyway, the bus turned up the road that led into the mountains. Soon we saw what the emergency call was about. There was a huge bald eagle with a very wounded wing, and the animal control guy standing there looking very respectful. He was looking for a net, or someone who would know how to get an eagle into the truck without getting badly hurt.
I was fascinated by the legs and "feet" of the bird that went down into some very scary claws. They (the "legs and feet")were all muscle and sinew, and so very "strong" looking they were. You knew they could shred just about anything they cared to. Even though the eagle was so injured, he was looking at us with big scary eyes. He kept flexing it's claws, perhaps trying to fly away, or grab one of us for lunch:tinysmile_twink_t2:! That eagle was beautiful and frightening; I don't know that I've ever seen a picture of an eagle that comes close to seeing the real thing!

oldsarge

Once saw a meteor burn up behind the clouds, a large group of us were watching this thing get brighter and brighter as it got closer. The back side of the low hanging cloud cover was all aglow then suddenly it was gone. Way Cool!

Refrigerator

Way back when I was much young and a bottle of Tequila..I seen a UFO on a backpacking trip Solo of course.... Does this count as the coolest thing I ever seen?

Refrigerator

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
About ten years ago I went to a spillway between two lakes to collect some cetera grass I wanted to transplant to a pond I have. I filled a small bucket with the grass and turned to leave. When I stepped onto the path that lead out of the area I heard an animal back in the Sumach grove that surrounded the place. It was snorting and pounding the ground. It only took a few seconds before I realized it was a deer. It was a doe and it was pretty upset with me for being there.

It was May which made me curious because, around here that's when the deer drop fawns. I almost walked off but there was something right under me that looked "strange". I looked closer and there, in the grass, curled up in a ball was a fawn that couldn't be more than an hour old. I stood for a minute and stared down. Then It opened its' eyes and looked up at me. The eyes seemed impossibly large. It was beautiful. It stared up at me for a few seconds and then closed its' eyes and went back to sleep. I said "Welcome to the world, little one." And I walked away.

You know, I hunt deer when I need meat. But there are some things that transcend.

ChadTower

You know, I hunt deer when I need meat. But there are some things that transcend.

Yeah, that is cool.

I don't have any stories that match this one. Maybe the best I have is a bunch of topless sunbathers when I unknowingly wandered into the backside of a wealthy summer home.

Grandpa

Great question. As I sat contemplating an answer way to many images to mention came to mind. Such as;
1. sitting in a hot pot below a large waterfall sipping a frosty bevarage watching a multiple "moonbow" (full moon creating rainbows in the falls mist)
2. sitting on the bank of a river watching a pair of trumpeter swans preening each other.
3. Hearing a noise right next to the trail as a mama moose stood up and started cleaning her brand new set of twin babies. After the initial panic attack on my part, she turned her back to me and went on with her motherly duties.
4. Startling a baby fawn on the trail and having it duck its head behind a plant to hide, leaving it's rump sticking in the air. (ole dog just looked at it and looked at me and we continued up the trail)
5. watching cutthroat trout trying to jump a 4 foot waterfall to get upstream to spawn.