Diet and camping

Flowerchild

Seems like we eat a lot when we are camping. Do you? Is it even possible to stay on a diet when you are out in the woods? Any suggestion on how to stay good?

HikerChick

I've tended to eat a lot as well - you exert so much energy, that you become ravenous. I was on a diet for one camping trip, though, and managed to make it work. I kept a journal of everything I ate, avoided snacking, kept my meals portioned. It wasn't a "designer diet" of any sort, just a calorie counting deal, so I just kept the calories where they should be.

SQuirrel

I always find that I seem to eat less. Mostly becouse I'm backpacking and always interested in something. In the city I will often eat more either becouse its something to do, or I simply can. What most people really need to watch is the type of food they eat. Trail mix is usually so very salty. Those dehydrated backpacking meals are just a brick of sodium.

I used to wander off on three day trips with:
A big bag of Granola
A loaf of some fancy dense bread.
A bag of Beef Jerky (salty meat isn't the best)
A pouch of Tuna (easier than a can)
A couple of apples (or some other fruit)
Dried Cranberries
Pecans or pine nuts
Cheese (often colby cheddar or gorgonzolla)
And Gatorade mix.

I ate so well on those little journeys, but the place I came out of the woods at had "The Hat" nearby. If you are not familiar with the place, Pastrami and the best chili cheese fries with tomato and pickles!

Gondor

I also eat a lot when camping / hiking, but I strive to eat as clean as possible because overstuffing will only make the activities harder.

OpenAir

I've never worried about what I eat when I'm out. I'm normally cold at night-never manage to get completely comfortable other than in the very middle of summer. I walk miles in the day, so I know I'm burning it off.

grand

I don't stick with the diet when I am out camping because I burn more energy from the activities in the camp. I eat more, but lose more weight.

Flowerchild

I always find that I seem to eat less. Mostly becouse I'm backpacking and always interested in something. In the city I will often eat more either becouse its something to do, or I simply can. What most people really need to watch is the type of food they eat. Trail mix is usually so very salty. Those dehydrated backpacking meals are just a brick of sodium.

I used to wander off on three day trips with:
A big bag of Granola
A loaf of some fancy dense bread.
A bag of Beef Jerky (salty meat isn't the best)
A pouch of Tuna (easier than a can)
A couple of apples (or some other fruit)
Dried Cranberries
Pecans or pine nuts
Cheese (often colby cheddar or gorgonzolla)
And Gatorade mix.

I ate so well on those little journeys, but the place I came out of the woods at had "The Hat" nearby. If you are not familiar with the place, Pastrami and the best chili cheese fries with tomato and pickles!
This sounds like a wonderful list of food to have on hand while camping. I am going to use this when we go on our first trip this season. All except the Pastrami and chili cheese fries of course. :)

enzo

I try to stay on a diet because when I go out camping I tend to eat more. All those camping workout makes me tired, thirsty and hungry.

jason

fear no beer
I actually eat less when I'm out and about in the woods. I think it is because I drink more. When I'm at home it is the opposite, I eat more and drink less.

ramp

Yes I tend to eat more when camping or hiking, but my body deserves it because I exert so much energy. I think as long as the calories you burn are more than the calories you take (which is mostly the case during those activities), you don't need to worry about gaining weight.