Do you ever worry about theft?

JeepThrills

I don't worry about valuables being stolen because I either leave them at home, lock them in the car, or have them on me in a daypack. If I was that worried about someone stealing my tent and supplies I would not be out by myself camping.
I was just thinking how "funny" (not!) it is that when I was little and my parents took me camping, there was never any worry about anyone getting anything from your tent if you left it alone. We would stay at those family camps where everyone camped quite close to each other. I guess people kind of kept a watch on their "neighbors" back then. I don't even remember us locking the tent.

Flash forward to today and I would never camp that close to other people. I would be afraid everything would be gone when I got back. Actually, I'm kind of paranoid even when there aren't other people close by. Anything of big value stays in the backpack and near me, or I leave it at home.

Judy Ann

You are right! I don't remember locked doors and windows at night growing up in the country. I am not certain if I would be able to sleep at night camping without my dog. She wakes me up in time to see the deer early in the morning and I've always thought I'd have time to grab the mace and whistle if someone came too close. I sleep soundly and restfully with her nearby.

campclose

Wow, I would NEVER leave any pet in a tent when I went on a hike. You take your pets with you, or you leave them home. I take my dog hiking with me all the time.

TroyS

Although we don't have a dog, I still couldn't imagine leaving a pet alone and unattended in a tent on a camping trip. I agree with what Dino said. Pets are not property that you just leave behind. They're companions. Leaving them would be just like neglecting them, at least that's how I see it.

ChadTower

Dunno, some of that is just nostalgia. I grew up in the back country in NS and we had to lock our doors. You had to lock sheds, barns, etc. Everybody knew each other, what they did for a living, and could fairly well tell when you were going to be gone for a week. If you left stuff unlocked there was a reasonable chance someone would walk in and steal things. No point in reporting it to the Mounties, they wouldn't do anything, and then you end up with your barn burned down because you snitched.

I don't ever remember a time, living remote or in Boston, 30 years ago or now, that you could just assume nobody would steal something left lying around openly.

Judy Ann

Dunno, some of that is just nostalgia. I grew up in the back country in NS and we had to lock our doors. You had to lock sheds, barns, etc.

We might close up the barns, but they were never locked. No one would want to see a barn go up in flames with livestock locked up inside. The worst case of theft was from the deer in the gardens.

ChadTower

We might close up the barns, but they were never locked. No one would want to see a barn go up in flames with livestock locked up inside. The worst case of theft was from the deer in the gardens.

Our barns didn't store livestock. They stored fishing gear and boats.

Hikenhunter

If I take him along camping he goes with me wherever I go. If I know that I'll be going any place that he can't go the n I leave him at home or I put him in a kennel I trust. Why would you leave him in your tent instead of taking him with you ?

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
However, after two pages no one has really offered up any theories or advice on the theft of regular objects.
In my post #7 of this thread I did mention one very effective way. That is hide your camp in the backcountry far from trails or roads. We always do that and have left very expensive gear in place during all day long dayhikes and never had any theft because nobody comes across our camps. Another good technique is to lay your tent down flat with your things inside it. Put some heavy items on it so it wont flap. Just make sure you know how to find your own camp again.

Or you can keep everything with you all the time if you need to be very close to traffic and people or have no true backcountry where you camp.

Or you can leave a lot of it home. I have seen a lot of folks who take much more than they need. Even during car camping trips we still just take our backpacks and so it in a very Spartan manner.

Johnnytarr

I had a bermes (spelling?) Mountain dog named roby, and he was very large for his breed. If you've ever seen a bermes, that statement should scare you.

Roby was a great dog. I'd take him camping and hiking all the time. Sometimes I'd leave him at camp when I went to do something for a short time. I never worried about a person taking/harming him, I dont think the terminator could handle that dog. And if someone tried to steal my stuff, roby wouldn't let them move till I got back.

But he was an additional dog. He's run off predators before (wolves cayotes and one bob cat). id never leave him in bear or lion country. And I'd never leave him at camp for more than an hour or so. if I was going out and didnt want to take him with, I left him with friends and family.

I miss that dog, he died of old age some time ago.

ppine

Forester
Ghostdog,
Great picture. I think terriers are the kings of the dog world in many ways. That looks like a lot of dog in a small package. We have Corgies which are part wolverine.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Ghostdog,
Great picture. I think terriers are the kings of the dog world in many ways. That looks like a lot of dog in a small package. We have Corgies which are part wolverine.
That is Winston Argylshire III on Comb Ridge. He is deliriously happy when in the wilderness and wild lands with us. We rescued him from a young air force couple with a one year old baby when he was three months old and have had him ever since. He is going on sixteen now and often I have to carry him like I did when he was a puppy. He still loves being out there and that is enough for me to haul him along. I have a duffel bag rigged up with two shoulder straps to do it. On rest breaks I sit him up in the shade, laying on a tarp with some water. It slows us down but you know how it is; you don’t leave a man behind. I don’t know how much longer he will be with us but as long as he is, life is going to be good for him. We had to start feeding him omelets for his breakfast and dinner after he had trouble with other foods. Now with a small titanium bowl we can cook them over boiling tea or coffee water out there, a kind of double boiler method. I got a #10 can of whole dried eggs for just that kind of travel cooking.

Corgis are a breed I have always liked but never had one around. I have known folks who kept them and have seen their wonderful spirit. I know Queen Liz keeps them.

DMan

I wouldn't leave my dog unattended at a campground, especially if I was camping in a tent. I'd be afraid he'd disturb others with barking and I'd worry about something happening to him. We lost one of out two Labs when they were wandering around in our bush during hunting season. We figure someone wanted a hunting dog.

Pathfinder1

Hi..

Two old friends of mine had a pair of black German Shepherds. They were excellent guard dogs. They were exceedingly playful and obedient around their owners and myself, though. Nobody could get close without their letting you know. When strangers were around, and no one else was around, they were ready for battle...!!

And yet, those brazen Canadian Jays could steal food right out of their bowls while the dogs were feeding...!!

joegres

When I camped in a tent I use a locker sometimes, but of course it wouldn't hamper a thief to get into the tent... so yes I really worry about getting robbed, but I don't think there's anything I can do to make this situation more secure! Just take the most important items with you in a bag. This is the better option.

ppine

Forester
I like to meet the people around me when in a campground like in the fall for fishing trips. We all have things in common and look out for each other. Someone is usually always around except early in the morning. Lock up the valuable stuff in the truck out of sight and don't worry about it.

Ghostdog,
Our Corgies are named Queen Victoria (Queenie) and Prince Albert (Bert). They make friends where ever they go, and love to hike all day. The Border Collie is named Bonnie of Northumberland, and is almost 15. She went backpacking last year, and will probably make it this year.

Last edited: