Dog in the tent?

Subaru Camper

My dog is definitely part of the pack so she sleeps in the tent with me or with me and the lady friend which can get cramped. I agree with their definitely being risks to leaving them outside the tent, depending on the area, with skunks, porcupine, deer or if they simply get loose and decide to go on their own special night hike.

We have a 45lb Siberian Husky and although I'm sure she would be fine outside the tent all night, it's much nicer to have her curled up in her patented husky ball in our tent to keep us warm and to keep her safe.

Newanderthal

Dog socks will protect your sleeping bag from toenails. Actually, dog socks are expensive, so just use infant or child socks. They work fine.

My dog doesn't really sleep in the tent. He walks laps all night long and then takes a rest by laying on my head.

Bumpkin

No, no dogs in the tent. My two drive me nuts in the house so I couldn't imagine dealing with them in the tent. I actually don't even bring the dogs when we're tent camping.

DMan

I think it has to depend on the dog. I have a Lab mix now and he is calm and very protective, so he sleeps in the tent with me. But when I had a spaniel mix, he was not welcome in the tent because he was so antsy.

racoon

I can't imagine leaving my little buddy out all night. He would never survive! I think if you have a notion your dog(s) are going to be a pain, then don't bring them. I think as long as their toenails are trimmed up, there should not be any problem with them ripping anything.

mccallum

We did not camp last year when we had Bear the 50 lb lab mix; but we have tented with our 15 lb terrior mix; she slept in herr crate in the tent. If we camp this coming summer we will either take the dome tent and the cabin tent and I and Bear will sleep in the dome and the Mrs, kid and litte dog in the other tent. As for nails biscut the little one walked on the floor and Bear would too. The other option is a BIGGER tent!

Fox & Hounds

Mine are in the tent with me. I bought a $10 yoga mat and cut it in to sections that they carry and sleep on at night. I bought $3 fleece throws and sewed them so they can crawl in to them as makeshift sleeping bags or lay on top of them if it's warm.

TroyS

We don't have a dog, but I'm thinking that if we did have one, we'd probably get him/her to sleep outside for as long as it is not too cold.

MarkBren

Where does a 130lb Great Dane sleep?.......wherever he wants.lol. This will be my first season camping with my new boy. Anakin is 9 months old now and is currently around 130lbs. By the time he is full grown he is expected to be pushing around 180lbs. So I'm thinking I'm going to be upgrading to a bigger tent this year. I've only ever had small tents so I could use some suggestions on what to look for in a bigger size tent. I see some tents with "rooms" are rooms useful?

JenVarsity

Do you let your dog sleep in your tent? I'm afraid my dog's toenails will rip the bottom of mine. If it's raining I let her sleep in the car. Otherwise, she just stays outside.
We always left our dogs sleep in the tent with us. We just put down a blanket or something for their claws/feet.

We haven't been camping though in 5 years since we got flooded out in a freezing rain. Hopefully we can get back to it this year, our youngest is finally two.

Denni2

We have a walker coon hound and she loves to sleep in the tent. At night when we are sitting around the fire she wants in the tent, she is afraid of the dark. We have never had any problems with her when camping. She doesn't bark at the other campers and is great on hikes.

littlefire

When we were younger and took the dogs with us camping, we would let them sleep with us in the tent and put a blanket down. We didn't have huge dogs, though, they were barely 10 pounds. I like the idea of the pup tent, I don't think I would feel right about them sleeping outside.

Remp

Hmm, I let my dog into the tent, but sometiems he decides to go outside... but then I won't let him come back... By the way he's really gentle, he doesn't poke me or lick my face in the tent, he just sleeps... Maybe it's because he's tired too :p

jerry_too

Most of my camping is on my local river sandbars,, which has no shortage of large alligators.

I camp with a Lab and a 30lb Mutt. I feel much better with both of them in the tent and even with a long 20ft leash on both of them in case they go wandering down to the river in the middle of the night for a drink. I usually set the tent and camp up about 100 to 150ft from waters edge. And where we go, I never ever leave my little 22magnum cowboy snake and alligator pistol at home.

I also don't buy high end tents that I have to worry about claw damage, mats and duct tape patches can easily remedy that. I look at low end tents as sacrificial items that 50$ can easily replace every year or three. That's the trade off of enjoying your best friends on an outing, or sleeping in a high end tent by myself. Everyone has their priorities.

Last edited:

LoveTheWater

When we go camping and take the dog along, he sleeps in the tent. I just don't like the idea of him being outside in the woods at night. He has a tendency to bark at strange noises so it's just better all around for him to sleep inside. :)

Pathfinder1

Denni2

We have a walker coon hound and she loves to sleep in the tent. At night when we are sitting around the fire she wants in the tent, she is afraid of the dark. We have never had any problems with her when camping. She doesn't bark at the other campers and is great on hikes.

Hi...

You have a COON hound that's afraid of the dark...?? You have an extraordinary pooch there...!!

beckya

Do you let your dog sleep in your tent? I'm afraid my dog's toenails will rip the bottom of mine. If it's raining I let her sleep in the car. Otherwise, she just stays outside.
I can't imagine my dog not being by my side. She has her own sleeping bag and camping pillow. I mean, even a dog needs a good night's rest.:

Mr.E

I have dog allergies. No dog in my tent. Now, when I camp with my brother, and he brings his dog, he will also bring his own tent. That solves that.
My dad's old dog was very cool. We'd build a little "tent" using a couple of old army ponchos and some thin rope and/or bungees... One poncho as a roof and one as a floor. She would sleep right there... even if it rained. We never even put her on a leash. Like I said, she was very cool. Smart dog not prone to overreact or do something stupid. So, she was no problem for me, either.
Still... if a dog slept in the tent with me for just one night I'd probably be MISERABLE for the entire trip and likely develop a full blown sinus infection within the week. :(