Dollar Situation?

Barney

What do you think will happen to US dollar in the near future? Many renowned authorities suggest that it will collapse even more and very soon.

ChadTower

Well, that's the safest for the apocalypse... maybe. Gold and Silver at at or near all time highs, though, meaning unless the market completely disintegrates you are looking at nothing but depreciation as the economy recovers.

Might be worth looking into the Canadian dollar. Canada's economy is growing fast and given that the US is their biggest customer for their biggest exports, and they are not going to get into any wars...

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
buy Gold and Silver.
I beg to differ.

Buy lead and brass, you can't kill a deer with a bar of gold or a bar of silver, the price of which is up to demand. The worth of a bullet is known, feed your family.

Granted, right now you could make a killing playing off of the silver\gold markets, silver doubled in price sense last fall until just last month then dropped almost 10$\oz, buy now sell once it dives again and repeat.

As far as "if the dollar totally collapses" you won't need silver to feed your family for there won't be any food left in stores. Go look up Russia post WW2, or better yet Germany Post WW2, no food anywhere and a loaf of bread cost 1,000,000$(german of course)

woodsman

GP I think you are referring to what happened in Germany after the first not the second WW, when Germany was forced by the Allies to compensate them for the war, the Germans printed out more money than their economy could cover and the Deutschmark lost all of it's value, thus the images of people going shopping with wheelbarrows full of money.

Back on the dollar, the image is not to clear, some experts predict growth some downfall. Neither of them is saying anything conclusive, so depending on the decisions that will be made it could go both ways.

Barney

I've raised this question because I watched a certain video lately and if we were to believe the maker of it dollar's fate is pretty certain in the near future. Who would like to watch, here it is (warning - it's almost an hour long).

Stansberry's Investment Advisory

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
GP I think you are referring to what happened in Germany after the first not the second WW, when Germany was forced by the Allies to compensate them for the war, the Germans printed out more money than their economy could cover and the Deutschmark lost all of it's value, thus the images of people going shopping with wheelbarrows full of money.

Back on the dollar, the image is not to clear, some experts predict growth some downfall. Neither of them is saying anything conclusive, so depending on the decisions that will be made it could go both ways.
I stand corrected, thank you.

Refrigerator

I beg to differ.

Buy lead and brass, you can't kill a deer with a bar of gold or a bar of silver, the price of which is up to demand. The worth of a bullet is known, feed your family.

Granted, right now you could make a killing playing off of the silver\gold markets, silver doubled in price sense last fall until just last month then dropped almost 10$\oz, buy now sell once it dives again and repeat.

As far as "if the dollar totally collapses" you won't need silver to feed your family for there won't be any food left in stores. Go look up Russia post WW2, or better yet Germany Post WW2, no food anywhere and a loaf of bread cost 1,000,000$(german of course)

Got plenty of loads Brass and lead. Gold and silver is for trade like it has been for centuries.

dinosaur

troublemaker
To Groundpounder and Refrigerator: I don't know about you guys but I can make bullets with any malleable metal including gold and silver.

oldsarge

Think I'd rather have the ammo myself. When push comes to shove and the belly is growling, money or precious metal doesn't mean squat. It's only good to those who can't fend for themselves, they need to buy and barter their way to stay alive.

oldsarge

Some of us don't play well with others...that's why we have our own sand box!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Lets all play nice now.
Oops! I suppose, as a retired financial consultant I could have given a more complete explanation on my thoughts concerning what happens when a government continues to spend money it doesn't have. But that's work.

Suffice it to say that a study of history will give everyone their answers. The saying goes that those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it. And yet, they keep doing it.

southerngal

I personally think (and have for awhile now well before the most recent crisis) that the dollar is doomed and America will collapse under the strain. I'm not stocking up on gold and silver but I do have a closet full of ammo and a gun for nearly every occasion, as well as sling shots, snares, traps, and all the non-perishable food items we can afford to put away.

T_Rex

Barney, careful of that Stansberry's Investment Advisory. I've seen that video too and I think it looks like just another scheme. There's also some negative info about them that comes up when you Google them.

oldsarge

I personally think (and have for awhile now well before the most recent crisis) that the dollar is doomed and America will collapse under the strain. I'm not stocking up on gold and silver but I do have a closet full of ammo and a gun for nearly every occasion, as well as sling shots, snares, traps, and all the non-perishable food items we can afford to put away.
What a gal!!!!! God bless you!

Camoguy

Anybody remember the song by Hank Jr. "A Country Boy Can Survive"? That's pretty much the way we roll. Grow your own food, preserve it by some method that won't require electricity to keep it and raise your own meat or hunt. Keeps you going without worry.

Judy Ann

What do you think will happen to US dollar in the near future? Many renowned authorities suggest that it will collapse even more and very soon.
I'm thinking interest rates will climb big time, I'm banking on a repeat of '79.

twilight

I think the Euro is in more danger of collapse than the dollar. Gold and silver are decent investments but not out of fear.