Dutch oven cooking.

Ready

Is anyone here really competent with dutch oven cooking? What is a tried and true source for learning how to bake in a dutch oven? I got one for Christmas but I don't know how I'd bake in it without burning everything.

calanta

I think that might be the only way, I have tried a few times and failed miserably. Now my better half seems to have the knack for it so we decided he can do all of the cooking and I will do all of the prep work.

ppine

Forester
It is very helpful to have a friend who knows what they are doing at first. Cook easy stuff that can stand a lot of heat like stews. Cook for just the family at first to reduce the expectations. Most people err on the side of too much heat. Check your food once in awhile to gauge the heat. There is a lot of hocus pocus involved with Dutch cooking. I have been at it since 1980. Please ask any specific questions you might have. Practice makes perfect.

jason

fear no beer
Try looking for local groups. Many areas have a dutch oven group/society. From the few I'v have talked to they were very friendly, willing to share tips, tricks and recipes. And then just practice and have fun.

Ilovelife

My best piece of advice is to slow down. Cooking with a dutch oven can be like a rewarding art; however, you can no expect such succulent food to come quickly. If you are patient and take your time in the preparation then you will reap the rewards.

ppine

Forester
Ready,
I commend your winter enthusiasm. I really like CW Butch Welch a retired fish and game agent, and Billy and Sue Ruiz of Cowboy Flavor. They have had shows on RFD-TV. CeeDub is from ID and cooks in the packstring and raft trip style. Billy is from Old California and is really good at cow camp and Mexican styles.

SunnyDay

Thanks PPine, I figure if I practice now and mess up, we can just order out for pizza. If I mess up at the campsite, then we starve for the night. I'll check out your recommendations.