Ever catch a stingray?

bugsy

We have so many of them that we catch them all the time. You ave to be really careful getting the hook out. You can get stung by the tail. And some of them are huge! I have only caught small ones but I have seen some as big as our boat. I don`t think I could reel one of those in by myself.

jason

fear no beer
I have personally never caught one on a fishing pole. I have going spear fishing for them. My nephew said he has caught some on a pole.

calanta

No never but I do have a sister in law that swears up and down one had bit her before when she was off swimming in the ocean off a beach in Cali, she swore never again to go swimming in the ocean. I have never even seen one.

Hikker_Jim

Whatever you do don't touch a stingray's tail. Their tails look like teeth on a saw and when they think they're in trouble they will release the tip of their tail in to their victim. It happend to Steve Irwin the crocodile man and was lethal...

Outdoormom

I have never caught one before while fishing. I have been able to touch them in a holding tank at an aquarium in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Every time I hear the story about Steve Irwin--I think about how gentle they looked in the tank. It surprises me that they will strike like they do.

outdoorgirl

I wonder, do they eat stingray? What would be the since of catching them? Is it a catch and release sort of thing?
I think stingrays are beautiful fish. I love how their fins flap like wings, so gentle in the water.

jason

fear no beer
I wonder, do they eat stingray? What would be the since of catching them? Is it a catch and release sort of thing?
I think stingrays are beautiful fish. I love how their fins flap like wings, so gentle in the water.
What you do is cut the wings off and then cook the wings. It is very similar to an oyster if cooked right. I think we used to boil the ones I would catch.

Woodzie

I didn't know you could eat stingray either. Learn something new every day. Jason, now that you said it is something like oysters, I am picturing stingray stew--like oyster stew.

jason

fear no beer
I didn't know you could eat stingray either. Learn something new every day. Jason, now that you said it is something like oysters, I am picturing stingray stew--like oyster stew.
Well before you do that I made a mistake. It is scallops. Was tired when I wrote it just now thought about it.

enzo

I haven't tried catching a live stingray and never will. Professional fishermen are capable of doing it. Honestly I didn't know that stringrays can be eaten, just get rid of their spine/barb that contains venom in them. I would love to take a bite of cooked delicious stingray cuisine and see if it's good.

Last edited: