Facebook

jason

fear no beer
I had a Facebook account for about a week. Everyone talked about it, and it sounded like a handy asset. After a week I realized that there was nothing in it for me. All of my friends keep me updated on the important matters by email or actual phone calls(remember them?), and the far away kinda-acquaintances don't interest me.
Just my two cents.

:tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t:
Phone? What is that? You mean that little clunky thing that I get short e-mails on, or text's as they are often called?

In all seriousness, I'm considering dropping the cell phone. The wife will not let me though. It does not help that it has been acting up and not working properly, or that I can barely get a signal in the house.

beemerphill

We have an excellent cell phone company. That is US Cellular. Way back when, I started with AT&T. Service was so-so, coverage was worse. They stopped serving this town when they lost some tower leases. I stumbled on US Cellular by accident. Top-notch service, friendly people, very wide coverage, and new phones much quicker than their competition. I even thought about dropping the land-line. The only reasons that I still have it are 1-many companies use that number as my account number, and 2- much more important-the people of New Orleans had an extra half hour of communications with their land-lines than with their cell phones. The cell phone towers died before the land-lines went dead. A half an hour for that $30 per month might not seem like a lot for the money, but in an emergency, that half hour will probably be worth a LOT more than what I am paying.
By the way- I do NOT have US Cellular stock, or get anything for telling people about them. They are just a well run company. Wish that more US companies would follow their lead.

:tinysmile_grin_t::tinysmile_grin_t:

BGreen

I never really got that involved in Facebook, and I used a generic version of my name that only those who really know me could find. I don't like how they just let you have one account.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I never really got that involved in Facebook, and I used a generic version of my name that only those who really know me could find. I don't like how they just let you have one account.
Just make up a second email address. I have two accounts. One for me, and one for an alter ego I use to comment on certain political and governmental events in my local area.

joegres

Depends on how many of your friends use it I guess... if you get a lot of messages from folks you know you might end up using it more. Many just play those games and whatnot.

oldsarge

I avoid all the games. You can set your preferences to each friend you have. I have relatives who send me that stuff all the time......well I used to, they're blocked now. Same goes for pictures, I only need to see a couple of pictures of your grandchild, after that, keep them to yourself.

joegres

I totally understand that. I also avoid playing all those games and ignore people who play a lot because it's annoying when the whole messages page is full of game invitations... I use it just for talking with my friends and events. This is very comfy.

carmen

I am seriously about ready to. I only get on to update friends and family far off about important stuff and pictures of the kids. Now in the past week they changed something else so now anytime someone does anything it sends me a stupid notification. I logged in yesterday and there were 97 in my little notify window!

joegres

oh my gosh 97 messages? This is a massive amount ;) Did you look at all of them or have you just skipped them? I don't have many friends therefore I don't get so many messages either. I think I'm happy about that :)