Favorite hiking season?

Susie

Do you have a favorite season that you like to hike in? All four seasons have their attributes for hiking, of course. I do love fall hiking, because it is both cool and dry.

wvbreamfisherman

Fall or late spring would be my choices. The biggest disadvantage of spring is that the water in the streams can still be pretty cold, whereas in the fall it is still warm from summer.

Summer hiking can be great if you can avoid sauna temperatures and humidity.

huntergal

I enjoy hiking in fall the best. In spring I am always unlucky and wind up dealing with mud, water or early warm temperatures (95 degrees one April a few years back!). In fall I enjoy the foliage and the dryer air. I rarely hike in high summer because I have asthma and the humidity makes breathing difficult, especially if I am exerting myself.

jason

fear no beer
Summer in Florida? Bring a lot of water.

Fall and Spring time is fun because it is cooler, you can go for longer hikes without looking like you came out of a swimming pool. You tend to see more wildlife too.

I've done some winter hikes, but you do not see as much wildlife as the other two.

So Fall or Spring for me.

Jumper79

I love hiking in the late spring or early summer, when the weather is warm but not too hot. The only time I won't go hiking though is when I am knee deep in snow.

Grandpa

Around here, it's July, Aug, Sept. or snowshoes. But there is always a road going south for the other months.

CatsEye

Gotta agree it's Fall and Spring. Spring is fantastic because you get to see a lot of the greenery start to come out. It's so nice to see after all of the bad weather you have to go through. I also like Fall because it's comfortable to hike in the lower temperatures.

CFlyer

Spring time is the best for me as nature is springing up into life. I love the breeze of this season as it is cool and gets me going on my hike.

Joe S.

Honestly, I like them all for different reasons. I try to do some hiking during all four seasons because I like to stay in tune with the natural progression of things in my surrounding.

ponderosa

Fall is my favorite (sept through mid october). Summer is fine, which around here starts in July. Spring makes me crazy because the roads to the trailheads aren't open, and even if they are the low country is a slushy muddy mess and the high country is still in winter. The raging streams are not crossable, the slopes are avalanche prone, and the snow is no longer fit for x-country skiing. The wind blows 30 mph all day every day. All of this occurs just as the effects of the loooooong winter are starting to make me crazy. Spring is the hardest season to get an outdoor fix. The only solution is to drive south about 10 hours, which I do at every opportunity.

Newanderthal

Have you ever hiked in the Blue Ridge Mountains during the fall?
In the eastern mountains there's no time like the fall.

Out west, in New Mexico, West Texas, and Arizona it's early spring.