favorite instant food for hiking?

savvyninja

In the past, I've tried Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry, but recently, I discovered instant meals by Wise. I found this deal for 56 servings at only $120. That's about $2.14 per meal! But how does it taste? What's your favorite?

ponderosa

I haven't been really impressed with any commercial backpacking food. They are usually way too salty for me, pasta is mushy, not enough veggies...
I much prefer to make my own. The last few days, I've dried hamburger, peas, carrots, and mushrooms for shepherds pie; pizza sauce, peppers, and olives for pizza; beans and chicken for burritos; and hummus for lunch. It takes some planning ahead, but it's worth it to me. It's a lot cheaper, tastes better, and I feel better if I'm eating similar to my usual meals.

That is a good price for the Wise stuff though; I hope you'll let us know how it compares to the better known brands after you've tried it.

Lamebeaver

Not quite instant, but Annies makes pasta and sauce dishes where you just add meat, usually tuna or chicken. These work nicely for short trips. They also don't have the MSG, preservatives and other crap that usually accompanies these types of food.

campershell

I have tried some instant noodles that come in packs. They are very easy to prepare but as the others said too salty, so I put a little more water than recommended...

ponderosa

I have heard that Packit Gourmet is a lot tastier than the other brands, but I haven't tried it. I like that they have individual vegetables available, that could be added to homemade trail foods.
Packit Gourmet

Grandpa

Ponderosa !! One of the guys this summer had some packit gourmet. He was very happy with it.

After many years of Mt House, I can still enjoy their Chicken Polynesian and their Sweet and Sour Pork but the rest has become very blah to me. I'm counting on Sarbar's freezer bag meals to get me throught the next couple of years. I also have some concoctions of my own that are pretty good. Other than that, ramen and instant oatmeal have more appeal than chili mac or pasta primevera (sic) in my opinion. I've also been know to take a tbone steak and a potato for that first nights meal if I know we can have a fire to cook them. Frozen steak, already wrapped in the foil and also a potato, all ready punctured and wrapped in foil for the fire. Sure gets the hiking partners upset :tinysmile_hmm_t:

ponderosa

I love Sarbar's freezer bag stuff for x-country ski lunches. I was so excited so discover such an easy, tasty way to have hot lunch in the winter. Dicentra's website also has some great ideas.

Newanderthal

Backpacker Gourmet

It's a cookbook for backpackers. Tons of great dishes you can make at home and then dehydrate. Step by step instructions on preparation, cooking, dehydrating, packing, and reconstituting with hot water.

Make your supper and then dry out the leftovers. Tastier than mountain house, way cheaper, and far less sodium.

savvyninja

You're all right about how salty this stuff can be. Although, I have found Backpacker's Pantry tends to pack less sodium. There breakfast meals are especially light in salt and taste pretty good. Of course, it doesn't take much to pack oatmeal and add hot water. The Wise dehydrated food also reads like it is made up of very little ingredients. In my experience, the less ingredients, the less sodium and preservatives. Still, I'll keep you posted once I try it. Hell, if I don't like it, I'll store it in my bunker for when the zombies take over.

oldsarge

DylanT;42269]Call me crazy but I prefer military style MREs!

You're not crazy, I like them a lot. And if any one is willing to put up with the extra weight, no big deal.

Grandpa

In the water short areas, I still carry an MRE entree or two. Save the water for drinking. When carrying enough water for a dry camp and the next day, the weight difference is sixes and the mre gives a variety to the meals. I don't mind most of the newer menu's.

firedancer

I have heard that Packit Gourmet is a lot tastier than the other brands, but I haven't tried it. I like that they have individual vegetables available, that could be added to homemade trail foods.
Packit Gourmet
I'm a big fan of Packit Gourmet - I have not tried anything from them that I didn't like! The downside is that they can be kind of pricey - up to $7 for a single meal and then you pay shipping as well. I tend to place 1 or 2 big orders with them a year (maybe for free shipping, can't remember) Also, they recommend an expiration of 1 year from date of manufacturer, unlike some of the Mt House stuff which is good for a freakishly long time.

oldsarge

Just for hiking around, I'll normally have some Top Ramen noodles, tea or coffee packets and some kind of crackers.

ejdixon

I usually just bring water, granola bars, a few instant noodles, some coffee and lots of water.

Qweetzy

Book looks good, Newanderthal. I may have to try it. I usually carry peanut butter, nuts, dried fruit, and instant oatmeal. Of course I have to bring coffee or I couldn't get up in the mornings. :)