Favorite Part Of Camping?

DMan

I love camping, although we don't rough it as much as we used to. My favorite part though has to be sitting outside in front of a roaring fire, sipping on a beverage, and watching the sun set over the water. How about you?

Bojib

I don't really know what I enjoy about it most anymore.

Used to, it was to get away from the people, and enjoy the peace and quiet, and just enjoy nature.

Then, when I got married and bought a house, we moved to a spot well away from it all. If I'm not sitting and pecking I'm usually outdoors doing all the things I used to go camping for. I turn off all the lights, the TV, the noise makers, built a fire in my fire pit and just relax.

Of course, I don't know how much longer this will last, I could not and can not to afford to buy all the land I'd like to have around me. People keep getting closer and closer. So, I'll probably get back to camping a lot more in the next few years so I can get back to enjoying the peace and quiet that it offers.

Sometimes I do like just the adventure of getting somewhere. The camping part is only a place to sleep. I've done ATV camping were we ride all day then set up camp. I know the ATV kind of goes against the true naturalist part of it all, but I think it's fun. My friends and I had a hike in cabin we built by hand once. It was a nice little log cabin pretty much hidden in the woods near a pond. I enjoyed the hike to get there, and fishing in the pond. It wasn't hid as well as we thought, some hooligans eventually found it and burned it down.

The more I think of it, the more reasons I can think of to enjoy it. This post could continue on for quite some time. That's while I'll stop my rambling here.

ppine

Forester
The quiet, trees, wildflowers, the light, the smell of pine and wood smoke, good friends, the relaxed way of doing things and the unexpected critters.

Like the sarge says, you cannot beat a good fire. Look to the left.

Planning the next day's hunting or fishing is a big topic. I almost forgot reading poetry aloud and story telling.

EDIT. Sleeping with the dogs is always a highlight. I like everyone's answers.

Last edited:

oldsarge

The quiet, trees, wildflowers, the light, the smell of pine and wood smoke, good friends, the relaxed way of doing things and the unexpected critters.
This and relaxing around a camp fire!

TroyS

Like the sarge says, you cannot beat a good fire. Look to the left.
I agree!

For me, it will be the fact that I get to enjoy the outdoors with my kids. I always get a kick whenever I see them enjoying themselves by the campfire with their mallows and their hot choco, laughing and asking to be told scary stories. It's those kinds of moments that are just priceless.

Barney

Every part of camping is my favorite part. I love just being on the trail, sitting by the fire, testing my gear, the whole shebang.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Like Bojib said, the camp is just a place to sleep. It gives me a base from which I do the things I came to do.

BGreen

We're invariably with family. Watching my family enjoy themselves and laugh and play together is the very best. Talking about old times, growing up camping together and "telling on each other" for past goofs cannot be topped.

HikerJoe

The fire for sure. Nothing like sitting around that, drinking a beer, usually by myself, burning old reciepts and other evidence that could be used against me.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Ah, yes...nothing like a nice campfire...and a spot to have it.

There are the stars to watch...or perhaps the Northern Lights. The crackle of the fire and the smell of wood smoke. The sparks being carried away into the night. The chilly breezes stirring the flames.

At a time that I was camping in campgrounds in Fairbanks, it was also the fellowship of other campers, some of which became lifelong friends. For those of us who decided to stay in AK...the talk might center around what each of us would find in our lives to follow.

Many wondered if they would be able to get work on the AK Pipeline. Others...myself included...were wondering where...and how...we were going to spend the winter.

There was talk of gold mining...or of shooting muskrats along the Yukon River. Or getting some type of temporary job until they could get on the Pipeline's A-list.

It was a State campground, and it would be closed for the year on September 01, and everybody had to be out by then. Winter was literally only a few weeks away.

The fires burned low, the beer was gone. Time to retire for the evening.

The conversations would resume again tomorrow.

jbassett

I agree with Dinosaur and BojiB. Camping gets me near the activities I enjoy. Especially fishing, kayaking, and metal detecting.

Camp should be comfortable and efficient so most of the time can be spent having fun. :)

ejdixon

The peace and quiet I get. I love the fact that I can just stare out and do absolutely nothing and just stay quiet.

Tristan

My favorite part of camping depends on the trip. Sometimes, the best part is having a chance to spend quality time with your family or good friends. There have been a few trips, though, where it was nice to just get away from cell phones, email, and everything that resembles everyday life.

TroyS

I agree with you, Tristan. That's another thing that I really like about camping. It's a great way to teach kids that you can actually survive without the Internet and cellphones.

Hikenhunter

I just enjoy camping. Anything to do with it is enjoyable. I like checking my gear before I go. I like using my gear. I like getting out in nature. I like unpacking when I get home and I like planning for the next trip. I just like camping

ppine

Forester
Hikenhunter,
Please teach me how to enjoy packing and unpacking.

Edit- I liked your answer, thank you.

Last edited:

Hikenhunter

Hikenhunter,
Please teach me how to enjoy packing and unpacking.
You just focus on why you are doing it. I like handling the gear. It isn't the best part of camping but when I'm packing I do it while anticepating the things that are about to come. When I unpack I do it while Thinking of the experience I just had. OK, now that I think about it I really don't like unpacking too much:tinysmile_shy_t:

Refrigerator

I like every aspect from planning, packing, traveling, trekking, bagging, foods and cooking, smells, views, soreness, returning. If only they had backpackers or campers cologne...you know...the smells you acquire....