Food - THat you would Have Never Eaten!!!

tylert27

Yeah, I ate some mushroom stroganoff. I absolutely hate mushrooms but I was so hungry that I ate the stroganoff anyways. It actually wasn't that bad, its surprising what hunger can do. I also have eaten a lot of trout which I'm not horribly fond of either.

Reed

Spam. I'll never eat that at home but, call me weird, there is something about cooking spam over a campfire that makes it taste good. I can't explain it. It's just one of those things.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I'm hearing more and more about Spam. Pepper Spam, Bacon Spam, Smoked Spam, Low Fat Spam and a few others. Even Hormel now has a Spam and 'something' microwaveable dinner...!!

I always keep some on hand...for use at home...and in my GHB. I recently found out something interesting (to me) about it. DON'T cook it...!! Fried, it soaks up most of the oil, and ruins the flavor of eggs when you cook them in the same oil. My experience, anyway.

Now, I eat slices right from the can (I slice it IN the can)...with mayonnaise, mustard, or any favorite condiment. Much better that way.

Grandpa

Hi...

I'm hearing more and more about Spam. Pepper Spam, Bacon Spam, Smoked Spam, Low Fat Spam and a few others. Even Hormel now has a Spam and 'something' microwaveable dinner...!!

I always keep some on hand...for use at home...and in my GHB. I recently found out something interesting (to me) about it. DON'T cook it...!! Fried, it soaks up most of the oil, and ruins the flavor of eggs when you cook them in the same oil. My experience, anyway.

Now, I eat slices right from the can (I slice it IN the can)...with mayonnaise, mustard, or any favorite condiment. Much better that way.
It took until about 1950 before my parents could discontinue the spam. I distinctly remember not liking it cooked but liking it straight from the can as a sandwich with mustard.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
This damaged me for life!

:bad:

Anyone that did any NOLS courses back in the 1970's will probably agree with this one: Spooza !!

:tinysmile_tongue_t:

This is basically a conglomeration of anything you might have in your food bag at the time which might include: raw pasta (spaghetti, elbow macaroni,mostaccioli,and egg noodles), raw rice (brown & white), lentils, beans, Dehydrated potato (flakes and chips), dehydrated veggies (celery, onions, carrots, peas, and tomatoes), powdered bases ( beef, chicken, vegetable, cheese, & tomato), miso, parmesan cheese, powdered milk, bisquick, ap flour, dehydrated meat cubes (chicken & beef), Wilson's meat & bacon bars, and various spices (onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, oregano, basil, savory, salt, and pepper).

All cooked in a "billy can" (1 gal. bulk-food tin can) nestled into the side of a camp fire.

In those days NOLS didn't believe in pre-prepared freeze-dried foods, for numerous reasons that they expounded upon to anyone who would listen.

When it got really bad... was when you happened to burn any of these mixtures inside said billie can, because it was impossible to completely clean the "burnt" out. From that time forward it imparted a very funky "burned spooza flavor" (and smell) to anything else you cooked in it.

Courses were 30 days long, from drop off to pick up, and each person was only issued 1 billie can. By the end of the 1st week most billie cans had been thusly "skunked".

But it just goes to show you that when you are starved at the end of a long day from carrying a heavy pack and bushwacking at over 9000 ft.--- you are hungry enough to eat nearly anything. Funny thing is; we would even have group banquets every 4 days or so where you got to sample everyone else's spooza concoctions.

What can I say... We were young and dumb and not there for the food.

Last edited:

briansnat

Platnium Member
Canned sardines in mustard or hot sauce. They are a staple on backpacking trips, but I never eat them at home. Well I can't say never. I tried a can last summer and couldn't understand why I like them when backpacking.

Marlowe

When we were kids my dad got some kind of deal on hundreds of old canned army rations. Every time we went on extended camping, hunting, or fishing trips we would eat these as side dishes to (you guessed it) spam. Somehow, the outdoors gives you an appetite for whatever there is. My gal makes what she calls survival cookies. It's an oatmeal-raisin-peanut-everything cookie that taste great on the boat but lose their attraction on dry land.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Kimchi fried rice with spam. Wouldn't have tried it otherwise but that was the dish of the day. That stuff is freaking AWESOME! One of the many joys of growing up with Air Force brats.

I'm not a seafood person at all. Fish, lobster, clams, oysters...I don't like any of it. The mountain water's pretty clean around here, though, and you can catch crawfish in some areas. While camping, my father in law caught a pile of them and we had a Cajun crawfish boil. Never would have tried otherwise.

ppine

Forester
Spam is a stable in the diet of Pacific Islanders and places like Hawaii. It has been around for along time because it can be transported by ship over long periods of time.

Kangaroo jerky! Whoa, now that’s different! What did it taste like? I’m guessing it might be similar to deer meat? Deer jerky is actually kind of good, though I'm not entirely sure about kangaroo...

BigSur

My dad used to bring old MRE's on the boat with us when we went fishing. They weren't our favorite, but we used them up because they were just collecting dust. Let me tell you, those things are nothing to brag about!

Grandpa

Took grandma to the cafe the other night. First thing the lady did was bring us a menu. Good thing they have a selection because we all have different tastes and prefer different foods. I'll try most anything if someone else says it's edible but that doesn't mean I will like it or will ever want to eat it again unless I'm hungry. Some don't like venison, but I do. Some like lobster, but I don't. It's a good thing we all don't like the same stuff or we'd run out in short order. Maybe thats what happened to the dragons and unicorns. They were too good eating.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Kangaroo jerky! Whoa, now that’s different! What did it taste like? I’m guessing it might be similar to deer meat? Deer jerky is actually kind of good, though I'm not entirely sure about kangaroo...
It was very similar to beef jerky. Ive had beef jerky, deer jerky, pork jerky and now kangaroo jerky. I think the jerky spices and processes kill a lot of the natural flavor of the meat... They're all pretty similar to me. It was tender though, not tough and stringy like a lot of the beef cuts.