Foot-print

Dannytoo

I have ordered a Eureka Copper canyon 6 tent to use for car camping. I am wondering, doe everyone use a foot-print under their tents and what do you esr?

ChadTower

I use one depending on the campsite. I use a regular blue folding tarp. Consider the footprint a sacrificial piece as over time it's going to wear out. Better that than your tent floor, though.

EmberMike

I never set up a tent without one. It saves the tent floor and prolongs the life of the tent, not to mention the added moisture barrier benefits.

ponderosa

You can use the footprint sold to match your tent, or save some money and use a tarp, painters drop cloth, a piece of silinylon from a fabric store, or a bit of tyvec leftover from a construction project. Just make sure it is cut a bit smaller than the tent floor so itdoesn't collect water to pool under the tent.

ppine

Forester
In 50 years I have never used a footprint, and never worn a hole in a tent. Several of my tents don't have floors. I did buy a small footprint on sale for some other tent to use under a tarp to stay out of the dirt.

I have seen people get wet in a rain storm when their footprint extends beyond the edge of their tent. I have have never seen anyone have a problem by not using one. It seems like an idea invented by a tent maker.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I usually use one. I have a roll of 6 mil plastic sheeting (you can usually find it in the painting supply section of any hardware store). I pitch the tent on the sheet, draw the outline of the tent with a sharpie. Then I cut the sheet about 2 inches inside the outline as you do not want the ground sheet sticking out from under the tent to collect water and direct it under. The 6 mil plastic is thick enough to last several seasons and isn't too heavy.

Better yet, I know people who use Tyvek sheets. Even lighter and more durable than plastic.

EmberMike

...I have seen people get wet in a rain storm when their footprint extends beyond the edge of their tent...
That's common. If it's too big, it's just a rain-catcher.

You can roll it under the tent, but even that can go wrong if not done properly. It needs to be rolled under itself, not over. Same problem if you roll it over itself, it's just a water-catcher then.

Best bet is to just cut it to fit, and to do so before you head out. No need to carry more plastic than is necessary.

DuctTape

Back in the day we used plastic sheeting. I think if you are in less than desirable tent locations (like campgrounds) than the groundcloth may be necessary. If off the beaten path and you can choose a nice spot on pine duff for example, then you probably don't need one. I haven't used one in years, but that is because I am in a hammock year 'round.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
Back when I used to sleep on the ground, I have done it both ways. I can't tell that using a footprint does anything for the tent floor. The only time I damaged a tent floor, I was using a footprint and I had a rock puncture a hole through both the footprint and the tent floor. To me, a footprint is just another piece of quasi useful gear to tote. Right up there with sporks. Yeah, you can eat with one but they make a poor fork and a so so spoon.

If it doesn't make happy or comfortable, I don't take it.

ChadTower

Sort of extra, yeah, but super useful in a hundred other ways. Adds almost no weight to a vehicle. There are tons of things I would consider less useful than having an extra tarp on hand.

Grandpa

Extra tarps I carry. I even carry a tarp backpacking if expecting rain. Grandma has a couple of carpet samples for the high traffic spots in the big tent but that is all the footprint we use, car camping or backpacking.

We always use a big tarp in the sleeping area of the big wall tent. (that has no floor). But it is used to cover the two bales of barley straw we spread out for our mattress.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I like ppine's answer. The only footprints under my tent are the ones I leave when I police the area for rocks and stubble before pitching my tent. And the only tarp I use is the one I put over the top and stake out. But we call that a rain fly.

IndianaHiker

Don't sleep on the ground much now as I use a hammock. Almost never used a footprint. If I did it was just because it was already wet and muddy before I left. Would use a disposable piece of plastic then because it made cleaning the tent easier.

Dannytoo

Thanks everyone for the replys. I went ahead and order the footprint that is made for the tent. The tent is to arrive this afternoon and the tarp will be here Friday. I'm as excited as a 6 year with a new pair of underwear on the first day of school. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t:dance3::dance3: