For exercise?

Lovefall

Anyone like to go out hiking for their daily exercise? Do you think it's a good form of exercise? I mean it's not like you are speed walking or anything?

I think it's an excellent type of exercise.

calanta

I did this when I lived closer to the boonies but right now I live in the city so the biggest hike for me would be walking to the grocery store. I miss wandering and getting lost in the woods though, fun times.

CFlyer

It is really a great exercise to have a hike everyday. The thing is that I can't do this because of work. If only I get paid to hike different mountains in different countries then I won't have second thoughts of accepting that kind of job.

javen

I do like to go out hiking. It's a good form of exercise, at least my body is moving and I am likely to burn a lot of calories from this activity.

boomerang

Yes, hiking is much more fun yet less tiring than jogging or other vigorous exercises. And the best part is that when hiking, you can burn a lot of calories without feeling exhausted.

jason

fear no beer
Try having a pack with a 30 pound kid in it and tell me that is not exercise. Wow, a few hours of that and my legs are killing me. Fun though. I think it is good exercise without the kid too though. It is not vigorous, but it still is better then sitting on the couch.

coolbuddy

You're right jason!
It sounds funny but really works for me. I take care 3 kids at home and they keep on running around the house. Chasing them is one of the best for of exercise for me. I used to hike but not regularly. Sometimes 2 times a week if not busy.

Bumpkin

Up until a couple of years ago I used to hike three to five times a week, but ever since I had my daughter I have cut back on that big time. Now that she is getting a little older I think it's time to get back to it because I really do miss it.

BigBear

Hiking is great exercise, but as a city dweller, I have to set aside time to travel to somewhere I can put a good hike in. So, I have to settle for a few trails close by and hikes are more of a special occassion.

lovetohunt

We don't hike everyday but I try to walk everyday. Sometimes there are too many things going on and I can't hit the hills. I walk in town when my kids are at ball practice, other days we all walk in the hills by our house.

cookielover

I have been walking after dinner each night slowly working to get back into shape, the times I have tried before I did too much too quick and burnt myself out. I am trying to avoid that now and after not being able to hike for close to a year from a past injury I am looking forward to getting out again.

oldsarge

I will sometimes add weight to my pack and head out at a quick pace for a good workout. If I'm Geocaching I'll move faster with a lighter pack to make time. Plus I like to hike the hilly areas too, really gets the heart pumping!

IndianaHiker

I love to hike but don't be fooled into thinking that its great for you heart and lungs. Here is how it was explained to me by my doctor. I work in a job where I walk between 3 and 5 miles every day during the course of an 8 hour shift. I asked him how much exercise I was getting from it. He stated that basically none. I might be getting enough to keep my legs firm but no benefit for the cardiovascular system. He stated that for the cardiovascular system to get any benefit you must be doing an activity that keeps you heart rate elevated for a CONTINUOUS 20 minutes at least.

However thats not going to stop me from enjoying the peace and fun of hiking.