Forest Service Open to Allowing Mountain Bikes on Continental Divide Trail, But What

jason

fear no beer
Along its 3,100 miles that wind from the Canadian border down to Mexico, the Continental Divide Trail is one of the most rugged, and in parts one of the most visually spectacular, hiking trails in the country. Now the U.S. Forest Service says the route could be opened in places to mountain bikes, a move that raises a question or two regarding possible impacts to national parks.
From north to south the trail runs through portions of Glacier, Yellowstone, and Rocky Mountain national parks, as well as El Malpais National Monument in New Mexico. In places you need the skills of a mountain goat to negotiate the route, which, by the way, is not entirely in place.
Early in October the Forest Service published its proposed rule changes to the trail's comprehensive management plan in the Federal Register. They took effect November 4. The updated management plan does not magically open the entire Continental Divide National Scenic Trail to mountain biking, but rather provides "that bicycle use may be allowed on the CDNST if the use is consistent with the applicable land and resource management plan and will not substantially interfere with the nature and purposes of the CDNST."
Nevertheless, some fear that decision could result in pressure being placed on National Park Service land managers to permit the bikes into wilderness areas as this development potentially opens one more door for mountain bikes to public lands that have long been set aside for hikers and horseback riders.

Read More Forest Service Open to Allowing Mountain Bikes on Continental Divide Trail, But What About Park Service? | National Parks Traveler

sarahbean

What's the big deal about bicycles? They don't add to pollution or anything. I could see fighting against anything motorized in our national parks but I don't see the harm in bicycles allowed in some areas.

Foxyloxy

I agree. As I was reading that I was trying to figure out what the problem is. Do cyclists litter more than hikers or something? Lol. The only thing I can figure is maybe they're concerned about bikes altering the trail. I've been on some mountain bike trails that, over time, change and become rutted and whatnot, but other than that I can't see what the problem is.

jason

fear no beer
I think a lot of people complain about mountain bikers, thinking they tear up the earth more then a hiker. Horse riders also face a lot of the same problems, but they also have the horse "left overs" to deal with too. Some places will allow mountain bikers as long as the ground is dry.