Hello from Afghanistan

Knisley

Hey guys, just joined up because a buddy an I are wanting to start backpacking when we get back to the states. We wanted to get a head start and read up on some things, but I figured I would see if anyone had some advice for us to start out with or can recommend some material to read. Mostly I would love to pick your guy's brains for some beginner advice.

Lamebeaver

Howdy Knisley!

Newanderthal did a really nice post awhile back on getting into backpacking inexpensively. I couldn't find it just now, but it's got to be around somewhere.

Basically, you need a pair of comfortable shoes or boots. A comfortable backpack, and a sleeping bag and pad. Most people also like a tent, tarp or hammock. A decent size library will have some good books on the subject, and it never hurts to go out with someone else and see how they do it.

wvbreamfisherman

I second what Lamebeaver said. However there are lots of folks here with tons of backpacking experience (I'm not one of them- I'm just getting back to it after a long layoff), so you can probably get about any question answered.

In any event Hi and welcome, and thank you for your service!

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. Hopefully you come home soon. Thank you for your service.

Grandpa

First, Thanks for your service. Second, where you from here in the states? And where would you like to backpack? One thing I have noticed, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum? But beyond keeping the pack weight down, there are lots of different opiniions depending on the individual and where they predominately hike. Listen to the advices, particularly from those in the area you will be located, but in the end, make your own choices so you can hike your own hike.

oldsarge

Hello and welcome to the OBC family! I too would like to thank you for your service. You've come to the right place for good advice & tips. So many folks here have ample experience in hiking and backpacking, I'm learning every time I read their post.

CozInCowtown

Asscrackastan, I have been there!!
I led KBR convoys out of K2 (Khazakastan) for awhile till I moved over to Anaconda, Iraq.
+3 on the above post, backpacking does not have to be that expensive of an endevor. Just start out small with the basics and grow as you go.
Come home safe,
DC

IndianaHiker

As others have said thanks for your service. I have a backpacking buddy of mine over there on Marjah right now not sure of that spelling. Lots of good people and experience here. I myself get out a good deal and I an a three season kind of guy. I will go year round but avoid summer. Can deal with winter by layering up but hate 90 and 100 degree temps.

Let us know what area of the country you will be backpacking in, what gear you already have, and what type of treks you want to do. I am positive some one here will be able to help you. Also feel free to friend me on facebook. Name on there is Marvin Heath.

hippieP

Always a thanks for the service you do. :)

A friend of mine is over in Afghanistan too and he said where ever he is located (can not disclose it) has horrible internet, he misses his family and most of all his gaming abilities. Ha!

Knisley

I am stationed out of Fort Bragg, right outside of Fayetteville, NC. I am originally from Ohio though, so the Appalachian are looking like they are going to be where I am going to explore for the next 4 years. So if anyone wants to take a walk in a few months let me know. The only knowledge I have right now is just the what the Army has taught (which isn't much), and what equipment we have issued to us, that is one area that the Army has done a decent job at. I am in a light infantry unit so rucking is a pretty common thing with us.

Tentative plan right now is to do some backpacking when we get home until it gets cold, then do it again this time into the winter.

charley

Thank you for your service.
There has been alot of good info given. Don't overcomplicate it. Work boots and knapsack used to work.
There are lots of nice trails in West Virginia, too. I live 20 miles from Ohio and have done little on the AT. The ANF has alot too. What part of Ohio might make a difference on where you start.

Knisley

I really think that I am wanting to be able to head off into the woods with minimal equipment and be competent enough to not need to bring much. As the fighting season is winding down here I am really wanting to be able to read as much as I can before coming home so I can mull over some ideas and opinions and have a plan on what I want to try out

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Thanks, Warrior, for what you do for us all.

Will look for more of your postings.

Will you be able to use your Military gear, such as bivy, sleeping gear, backpacks, etc., for Stateside camping?

Good luck in all of your ventures...!!

charley

Go to backpacker.com, backpackerlight.com, whiteblaze.com go to every link that has a forum and then if needed use google and you should have all you can read. If you run out pm me and I'll send you some links. There is a wealth of info on the net.

Knisley

Yes I would be able to use the gear that was issued. I always did have the question of what people thought of military gear. The sleep system I think is really good, but none of the ruck/3days are in my opinion good backpacking gear. The assault pack they give us seems allright, but I didn't think an overnight backpack was really that hard to design.

Grandpa

Military gear is usually ruggedly well built and heavy. It is no fun to pack 50-60 lbs around. But if you have it, use it, until you decided what will work better. My suggestion for the first thing to dump is the socks. First trip back from Iraq for my son-in-law, I got him a couple pair of good merino wool hikers. They are very pricey but don't let that deter you. A good pair of wool will outlast a lot of pairs of rotten cotten socks. SIL could not believe the difference they made.