Hello from Penna.

goforit75

New member here from Penna., sold the pop up and going back to the basics, Tenting. Looking forward to finding information to help make a selection on a new tent.

Rich Kroon

MacGyver

Welcome, almost neighbor (MD). Get ready to hear enough opinions on your tent options to make the selection process even more confusing. LOL

Grandpa

Welcome to the OBC forums goforit. Opinions we have, good advice remains to be seen.

Cappy

ya know what they say "Opinions are like arse holes, every body's got one." of course some of them just stink.:beer3:

Northern Dancer

...Welcome to the campfire - pour yourself a coffee and sit a spell...tells us more about yourself and camping exploits.

Glad that you have decided to come back to us - the one's that believe camping is intense. :camp1:

goforit75

Well long story short, pretty much had my mind made up with the Kodiak 9x10 Cabin, love the look and like the idea of canvas. As for my style of camping, well...spent my formative years tent camping with my father, then out on my own. After meeting my current wife who never camped I bought a small pop up, basically a tent on wheels. Wife loved camping, bought bigger pop-up due to step daughter and friends getting into camping. Step-daughter got older moved onto other things, downgraded back to a small pop-up, another tent on wheels. Finally decided to really get back to basics, sold the pop up and will be getting a tent...WOW what a circle that was. Basically have been camping for about 50 years...dang I now feel old. Any way looking forward to some new adventures in the tent....

Rich Kroon

Cappy

Started with a tent back in the mid 70s and used it till late 80's my dad began to complain about having to get up off the ground to go pee a few times a night. So I bought a pop up for the obvious reasons and got a jug for the ole man to pee in. Daddy passed in 95 I kept the pop up which I had jacked up made a skid plate for the axle and fiber glassed the underside of the floor. Behind my 4x4 pickup weren't many places we couldn't go. When I married peg she wanted a camper she could pull behind the suv and use it to bug out for hurricanes if I was on the boat. its a 18ft double axled ultra light camper weighing 1800lbs. Carbon fibre walls sweated onto styrofoam insulation we love the thing. It has crossed the states several times and been on many a happy camper adventure. still going. The tent I started with our daughter still has and uses it.

Northern Dancer

Well long story short, pretty much had my mind made up with the Kodiak 9x10 Cabin, love the look and like the idea of canvas. As for my style of camping, well...spent my formative years tent camping with my father, then out on my own. After meeting my current wife who never camped I bought a small pop up, basically a tent on wheels. Wife loved camping, bought bigger pop-up due to step daughter and friends getting into camping. Step-daughter got older moved onto other things, downgraded back to a small pop-up, another tent on wheels. Finally decided to really get back to basics, sold the pop up and will be getting a tent...WOW what a circle that was. Basically have been camping for about 50 years...dang I now feel old. Any way looking forward to some new adventures in the tent....

Rich Kroon
-------------------------- > :Smile2:
...but you know something? A campfire is never old. And tents? There are so many in the market - and with a comfortable cot with a good mattress - you'll be luvin it.

Grandpa

If you don't have to pack it on your back, canvas is the way to go. The kodiaks give great bang for the buck. Our scout unit dumped alaknaks and went to kodiaks.. They have held up well, getting 3-4 weeks of kid use each summer for the last 7 years. One springbar in the mix, but it seems to be lighter canvas. if you are using your tent in the cold weather, then a canvas wall tent with stove jack may be the better option. Nothing like a wall tent with a wood stove on those November hunting trips when a foot or two of snow may sneak in.

Northern Dancer

...it's what is needed rather than what is wanted. I agree with Grandpa - you use what works best for the group who needs it the most. :Smile2:

goforit75

If you don't have to pack it on your back, canvas is the way to go. The kodiaks give great bang for the buck. Our scout unit dumped alaknaks and went to kodiaks.. They have held up well, getting 3-4 weeks of kid use each summer for the last 7 years. One springbar in the mix, but it seems to be lighter canvas. if you are using your tent in the cold weather, then a canvas wall tent with stove jack may be the better option. Nothing like a wall tent with a wood stove on those November hunting trips when a foot or two of snow may sneak in.

Unfortunately my backpacking days are over...so I guess it will be canvas

Northern Dancer

One of the things that I have noticed a lot of people do? They continue to shop the "popular brands" when there is a whole lot of other choices. I owe no loyalty to any company. I use to swear by Coleman stove products until I discovered better ones a less cost. I still say if you are going to make an investment that you take your time and explore - what's the hurry?

I have to set up all my tents by myself as I often camp alone.

Roughing it is overrated. Add some serious luxury to your next outing, car trip or canoe voyage. I use a Cabin 4 Tent for example that lets you build a real home in the woods. It has plenty of headroom so you don’t have to crouch to get in or out, and you can stand up to change your clothes. Double doors with mesh let cool air circulate freely, but keep out all flying insects and light weight of course. :Thumbsup:

And I have three different sized Alaknaks I use for base camp.

goforit75

One of the things that I have noticed a lot of people do? They continue to shop the "popular brands" when there is a whole lot of other choices. I owe no loyalty to any company. I use to swear by Coleman stove products until I discovered better ones a less cost. I still say if you are going to make an investment that you take your time and explore - what's the hurry?

I have to set up all my tents by myself as I often camp alone.

Roughing it is overrated. Add some serious luxury to your next outing, car trip or canoe voyage. I use a Cabin 4 Tent for example that lets you build a real home in the woods. It has plenty of headroom so you don’t have to crouch to get in or out, and you can stand up to change your clothes. Double doors with mesh let cool air circulate freely, but keep out all flying insects and light weight of course. :Thumbsup:

And I have three different sized Alaknaks I use for base camp.

I like the Alaknaks from Cabelas, but in the size I need its a little more then I want to spend, looking in the 500 to 600 range. I also like the Kodiak Cabin Tent, but wish it was ahair bigger of say around 12X14.

Northern Dancer

...Cabela's may not be a bad place to start; they certainly have a whole range of family/outfitters tents in a variety of sizes, shapes and indeed prices. When I look at the range of possibilities I get a bit nervous - I like to buy tents as you know. [I have nine in my inventory at the moment.:( ]

...but you know something - that is what this "campy stuff" is all about gofoit75 - it's adult play...and I like playing - a lot. It took me years to figure out why guys like fishing. Now I know.

I have my spring buying list ready, my menu plan, the destinations pinpointed, the equipment lists organized. Oh yes...the budget. I find the activity refreshes and relaxes me and takes away the stress and anxiety of living with other humans. :)