Helmets

Flowerchild

My daughter and I were having a discussion about wearing bicycle helmets when riding. I am not on my kids as much as I should about their helmets. I think because I didn't wear them when I was growing up. My daughter was telling me, it is the law.

Is that true? Is there a law that says you have to wear a bicycle helmet?

Dreamer

There are only 14 states that do not have bicycle helmet laws. You should definitely look it up because if your child gets caught you could be the one in trouble.

Flowerchild

I will have to look it up. I did not know it was a law. I wonder how I would find that information out? Do you have a link to the information?

jason

fear no beer
In Florida anyone under the age of 16 is required to have a helmet on while riding a bike. I have one for my two year old, they do make them that small now. I had to go to a bike shop for it, but they also put in on her there and fit it to her.

Usually if you search for your state bicycle laws you will find the laws for your state. Or if you are feeling daring, post your state and I'll see what I can find.

Smokey

Let me just say that a helmet probably saved my son's life a couple of years ago. He was out riding around a campsite, hit a rock, flew over his handlebars and his head hit a rock. Fortunately, he was wearing a helmet.

Bruen

My wife is always bugging me to make sure the kids have their helmets on. The younger one doesn't mind, but my 10 yr. old hates to wear it. I've been letting it slide. Guess I should listen to the wife more often.

HikingChick

We require helmets regardless of the law. In fact, I've never looked up the law in our state.

When I was a child, my brother's best friend was coming to our house on his bicycle. He was just short of our driveway when a driver struck him as he crossed the street. It was a horrible accident. He survived, but is permanently brain damaged.

Helmets on bikes and safety belts in cars -- neither is an option in our household. They will be worn.