Hiking poles.

Pebbles

I was wondering if anyone here uses hiking poles. I am considering still doing some hikes with the winter weather and was wondering if a pole would be a good investment to help keep my footing?

Bushman

I personally have not ever used a hiking pole, but I do think it would be a good investment, if you plan on hiking often.

There are many types to choose from, some of them come with built-in compasses and knifes and other useful tools.

Gopher

I tried one once and I was impressed by how much it actually helped me to be able to walk farther with less fatigue. I have actually been thinking about getting one myself after that experience.

calanta

I have never used one but at some point I might need to. My back issues are preventing me from some of the walks I have taken even short ones just on a week day evening, this might be something I could really get use from.

Mr.Hiker

Hiking poles are not just used to help you walk. Its also a good way to deter snakes.

I have a hiking pole but I mostly use it as a protection. I would scan the grasses infront of me if there are deadly creatures ahead. Snake bites usually happen when someone comes too near and there is no way for the snake to escape.

Traveler

I don't buy any hiking poles for nature provides them. I use the sticks that I find along the way if I am tired already. But oftentimes I hike without it.

nomad

I use hiking poles whether I'm tired or not. I don't want to strain my back with all the hiking and climbing. Hiking poles is a must because they reduce the possibility of having back problems.

jason

fear no beer
I have a walking stick that I use when on paths and such. I also got some of the hiking poles from becoming a member of the Sierra Club, but have never used them.

Mandy

I have to agree with Traveler. I have the perfect walking stick that I picked up along the trail one day. It is strong and sturdy and just the right height. Why pay for what nature gives us free of charge.

MtnManLeap

I used a pair of poles for the last hike I took last year. I have to say they helped and are lighter and designed for this use. A stick doesn't always fit the bill. That hike was from Sol-Duc Falls (Olympic National Park) thru to Hoh Rainforest Visitors center. I was happy with the preformance and the fact that I did not stain my back because of pitching forward several times. I am shoping now for a lighter pair.