How do you cook food on a rock?

enzo

I was reading an old Archie Digest comics and they were featured in a Flintstone-something world. They wore leopard skins and the men were holding their bumpers as their own weapon. Then I read Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge cooking some pork chops in a flat rock. How does cooking food in a rock work?

campclose

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Heck you've got me. Maybe back in the day they heated the flat rocks by the hot sun and then were able to cook on them? Or maybe they put the hot rocks on the campfire. Then again it was the comics so it could have just been made up.

rosebud

I'm not sure about in a rock but, just start a fire of decent size then let it reduce to embers and lay a large flat rock on top; it acts as the stove top then just blop some food on and get cookin'.

jason

fear no beer
That reminds me of the National Lampoon's Vacation, where they cook chicken on the hot rocks in the desert. I wouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary. Like Rosebud said, a rock can act as a stove top. I am sure some rocks work better then others. I know some people that use lava rocks in their grills. The reason why is escaping me right now (seem to have a lot of brain freezes this morning), but different rocks will conduct heat differently.

drake

Maybe it cooks food from heat conduction but it depends on the type of rock. I've seen some rocks being used to cook food in China and Japan, they are even used as a signature dish display in some exclusive restaurants.

Reese

In areas that get high temperatures you can crack an egg on a rock and it will fry nicely. I'm sure you could heat the rock using the camp fire.