How Much Does Your Pack Weigh?

jason

fear no beer
Do you weigh your back? How much does it weigh? Do you try and keep it under a certain weight?

When I first started backpacking, my pack was probably 40ish pounds. After years of experience and getting new gear, I think my pack is about 20 pounds. You can totally tell a difference too. I don't have to take as many breaks and I can hike faster, but it was expensive to get light gear. My brother is an ultralight backpacker though. He weighs everything down to the ounce. His pack is probably somewhere between 12 and 18 pounds. Crazy. I'd rather carry a bit more and be more comfortable.

HereToday

Backpack weight

The older I get, the lighter I want my backpack to be, that's for certain. Twenty years ago it seemed like nothing to trek with thirty pounds on my back, but these days I don't like carrying over twenty. Plus, I'm a lot more picky about my frame than I once was.

camperz

Usually i used to carry 20 lbs
but of course it depends on the exact trip. :)

before about 10 years i used to lift 30+ but i have became a bit lazy now :(

bluet

Well, there's never been any certain limit in some countries. I think it depends on your choice of transportation too

agnes21

As far as you can bring it, I think its fine. In certain places, you might need to bring some extar stuff, or an extra aid packs. So there is no certain limit for me

doormaverick

Yup it depends on what kind of trip I'm on. It usually averages about 10-20 pounds. I make sure to pack a lot of water so that's basically where 90% of my weight comes from. I make sure also to bring plenty of food and aid packs.

boxoff

I usually only carry what I need with me. It isn't that much, I would say maybe 10 pounds max. I usually have water and whatever food I'm going to eat. I'll carry a flashlight, first aid kits and our tent.

azwan

depends on the activities and how long it. usually my pack around 10 pound. Because i learn from my experience before this my pack is 20+ it heavy and difficult to handling. The important things is first aid kits.

indian

Not exact weigh is fixed for me when I am going to trekking.
Some of important items which are useful is necessary to carry at the time of trekking.
It is almost 50 KG with all the bags weigh necessary.

cnacowboy

2o lbs is about avg for a few days in the woods @ least thats what i carry and did some resurch

paaro

During my first days in the trekking, first two or three times I used to take the backpacking of aroung 40-45 lbs, but I was not afraid of taking this much, instead I used to enjoy these hard condition in trekking, but slowly I started to reduce the backpacking and now it weighs around 20-25 lbs.

pavan

Trim your load from 40 pounds to 25 or 20, and you don't need the big pack with the beefy suspension — a more streamlined pack will do, and it alone may save three pounds or more. Modern packs employ lighter materials that are just as strong as older ones, and designs that cut ounces without reducing load-carrying capacity; in short, slimmer, lighter packs carry more weight comfortably today than in the past.

sunny

I actually pack only the essential things and some i buy the use and throw to reduce the weight. I certainly keep the weight below 50kg.

ACCER

I try to keep it between 20-25 lbs. Anything more and I get tired to easily and it seems to cost more energy than I can gain by carrying extras.

henry

Dont have an exact weight to carry. In each trip the weight varies and it depends on the trip and how long we are gonna stay, also depends on the number of person.

anand

At the start of the trek, you will be carrying your day pack loaded with just the items you will need during the day of hiking. Your packed trek bag/duffle bag will be carried by either human porters or pack animals and should weigh no more than 33 pounds (27.5 pounds for Pakistan treks).

slide

Mostly we fix the weight and we pack accordingly. This helps a lot as the weight is less, the more advantage is for us.