How old were you when you learned to swim?

woodsman

I think I was around 10, I had an irrational fear of water until I was 7. After that I always got stuck on the shallow end of the pool. Somehow it never stuck when my dad was trying to teach me, so I started jumping into the deep end and working my way out, in a week I was swimming.

Last edited:

Hayley

I was about 8 I think. We had a pool put in and I wasn't supposed to go anywhere but on the steps of the pool. Naturally, I rebelled and sort of taught myself to float and swim. I remember running into the house to tell my parents. I was so excited.

twodogs

steven randall
My dad built a pontoon boat when I was young and put it on a small lake in southern Michigan. I was around 8 or 9 and Growing up there were four of us kids , he took us out in the middle of the lake and threw us in and yelled sink or swim ! LOL, I think I learned to swim Im here today responding this web page .( I honestly dont think he would of let us sink .I think ? we did drive him nuts when we living at home .

Gondor

I can't remember the exact age I learned to swim but I think I was around 9 years old. I don't know if this is the average or not.

Yogi

My folks signed me up for swimming lessons when I was 6. I didn't really like it, and I've never been much interested in it. It was good to have learned young, though.

jason

fear no beer
I do not remember when I learned, but my daughter learned at two how to "swim". She can stay above water and move, but it is usually slow, and we still use a flotation device for her.

Chippin

I learned to swim when I was around 5-6 but I got used to the water earlier than that. I was 5 when I got into my first pool at my Grandma's house but I don't really remember who taught me how to swim or if I was even taught. I do know it was around that time that I was always facinated with swimming over to the 'deep' end to see how deep it was though!

OpenAir

It was just before my fourth birthday that I started to learn, and I was swimming ok on my own by five. I had lessons for around 11 years, and I ultimately became a very good swimmer.

Jobiwan

My dad built a pontoon boat when I was young and put it on a small lake in southern Michigan. I was around 8 or 9 and Growing up there were four of us kids , he took us out in the middle of the lake and threw us in and yelled sink or swim ! LOL, I think I learned to swim Im here today responding this web page .( I honestly dont think he would of let us sink .I think ? we did drive him nuts when we living at home .
Kinda the same way. My dad threw the five of us in and it was sink or swim. It happened to each of us on our 6th birthday. I was the youngest so I was informed ahead of time...talk about anxiety. I did the doggy-paddle though.

BCBabe

I was something of a water baby, and was in lessons before the age of 4.

I wound up taking my Life Guards' certification in later years, something I wish I'd kept up to, in hindsight.

Geordie

My grandfather tossed us kids into the waterhole on the family farm, the summer we turned five: it was up to each of us to get back to the edge without assistance.