How To Lit Damp Woods

LytWind

Is there a way to lit damp woods? I always have problems starting fire in the morning because the woods are damp with morning dew. I normally will have a fire after the sun has dried up the woods.

drake

If you have some spare paper wads, lay it down to the ground, gather small twigs, medium sized woods and large sized woods. Re-light the paper wad, put small twigs over it and let it dry. As the fire starts to consume the twigs, put a few medium-sized woods and let them dry as well. You can add large-sized woods if you want the fire bigger.

jason

fear no beer
You could also try taking off some of the outer layers with a knife until you reach a dry center. You can then save the shavings for later as kindling.

LytWind

Thanks for the s***estions. I will consider both advices.

The problem with lighting a fire in the morning is that even the twigs are damp. I guess jason's idea might work because the inside of the wood is normally dry.

Morgan

If your campsite has woods with moss called old man's beard then you can use that to start fire. It stays dry even in the morning so you won't have any problems setting it alight.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
number 1 - cover your wood at night - no dew, no problem.

What Jason said about carving through the damp outer layer works very well too. This is what I usually do if my wood gets damp. I will split a piece down and make feather sticks from the dry centers. Works like a charm.

Once the fire is lit you can dry out the rest of your wood by arranging it around your fire to dry it out. With a little practice you should never have to wait for anything to light your fire.

I like the old man's beard suggestion too, but we don't have much of that around here so I make sure the wood is sheltered and I have lots of dry tinder and kindling. The moss we do have around here is very poor tinder. I make my own maya dust from fat-wood and usually have some in a baggie for lighting wet weather fires.

Preparation is the best solution.

Also, take your kindling from the dead branches above ground. Even in the rain they are usually dry enough to burn. I like to harvest from pines and spruce. No shortage of good firewood there.

failghe

I too find the dry dead twigs off of the ground. Or on the ground covered up by leaves. Once I get the hot fire going I can surround the wet larger logs/branches around to dry out as it will not smoke as much as it dries out. Sometimes I bring a Charcoal or two in my dry gear as once lit it burns it burns for a while to dry out the kindling.

Luvoutdoors

All very good tips here. I usually try to carry some dry tinder with us in one of our backpacks. Northernbushape is absolutely right about being prepared though!