How to sew... this could save your life.

ejdixon

It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to close the hole to keep the rain/cold out.
My sentiments exactly, Newanderthal! I have to admit, my sewing is not as presentable as yours, but like what everyone else here said, for as long as you're able to mend the tear, then that's fine.

Michael

Duct Tape :)
I have some duct tape wrapped around the flashlight I always have with me. I also have some safety pins in my wallet. There's a tube of super glue in my backpack just in case I need that.

I still know how to sew, and I still often have a sewing kit handy. Increased versatility at the cost of a tiny bit of weight and a tiny bit of room is a good thing. And it's not like knowing how to sew weighs anything.

ChadTower

And you can't duct tape a flesh wound. Anything that covers first aid as well as gear repair is a win win win. That's why I love Iodine as a water purifier and vaseline cotton balls as firestarter. First aid is so important and so often overlooked.

ChadTower

Why not? A piece of cotton t-shirt and duct tape works wonders.

Not for very long. Flesh wounds need to be closed up so they can seal off and fight infection. I'm not talking small cuts. I'm talking the type of wounds that lead to septicemia. Yeah that's not an issue if your trip goes as planned but we're also carrying 4 different firestarters for a reason. A person can't do much of anything with a fever of 103.