Huge Knives That Can't Cut Wood

Barney

I have a friend who brings these ridiculous huge cheap Chinese knives that get bent when he tries to cut anything harder than bread. It seems that everything I preach to him about steel and price isn't worth a thing.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
There are a handful of knives under $80 that are made of great steel and will last a lifetime. And don't get me started on Morakniv, best bang for your $20 ever.

I would never carry anything from BudK(or that type) into the woods. It is beyond me why people believe advertising at times.

Michael

Price doesn't necessarily correlate to a good knife. The only thing a high price means is that someone thought they could sell the knife for that much money.

The knife you want is one made out of a good steel, that's got a design that fits your needs, that's by a company you trust. If that costs you 20 bucks, awesome. If it costs 100, awesome.

Once you've got the right knife for you, you take care of it. Keep it sharp. Make sure it doesn't rust. Don't use it for stupid stuff. It's a tool, and if you want your tools to last you treat them properly. This goes for hammers, knives, screw drivers, volt meters, or whatever. Tools last longer when you treat them properly and don't do stupid stuff with them.

I really don't understand not buying the right tool and not taking care of it once you've got it. Maybe it's because my dad and older brother are carpenters, so I grew up with the idea that your tools are your living.

Boroffski

Dirt, wood and steel
I'm with you on that Michael.
Being a third generation tool & die machinist, tool care is bred into me. I have an estwing hatchet that was my grandfathers and is still used regularly as it was when brand new, with a nice patina now however.

My knives are tools that I may hand down some day, so I care for them like they are heirlooms. Keep them sharp, oiled and in a good sheath and use them for what they were designed for, they will most likely last several lifetimes.

Decorative or show knives should NEVER be used to process wood, unless its life or death.

Happy Easter.

Last edited:

Gondor

I have a friend who brings these ridiculous huge cheap Chinese knives that get bent when he tries to cut anything harder than bread. It seems that everything I preach to him about steel and price isn't worth a thing.
Some knives are just bad there is no doubt about it. I heard about some Chinese cheap steel that can't be sharpened once it gets dull.

DuctTape

I agree, get quality tools and take care of them. For me, part of that means to use the right tool for the job. Sure a knife "can" chop up a log, but the better tool would be a saw. Even an axe is not the best tool (except for the fun factor) unless one is sending the logs down river.

Marshmallow

I have had similar issues with my kitchen knives. I have a few that, no matter how little I use them or how often I have them sharpened, are always dull.

CozInCowtown

Perhaps you should introduce him to the wonderful invention called "AXE".
A recent innovation that is sweeping the wood chopping industry!!
DC

Scotty

I have Case pocket knives my father handed down to me and I use them regularly. I sharpen and oil them as he did and they are still just as good as they were when he used them. On the other hand, I've bought knives that are supposed to be great and they didn't last a season. I have used one of those things you speak of, CozInCowTown, and they were a wonderous invention, even surpassing the butter knife I dig in the garden with. :D

Gondor

I have Case pocket knives my father handed down to me and I use them regularly. I sharpen and oil them as he did and they are still just as good as they were when he used them. On the other hand, I've bought knives that are supposed to be great and they didn't last a season. I have used one of those things you speak of, CozInCowTown, and they were a wonderous invention, even surpassing the butter knife I dig in the garden with. :D
That is a great attitude! I have some very old tools that I'm very fond of and that I wouldn't give up for the world. I think this attitude can be transferred to how you live your life.

oldsarge

I would never carry anything from BudK(or that type) into the woods. It is beyond me why people believe advertising at times.
BudK, Gill Hibben, Frost cutlery...if you're looking for something to hang on you wall, that's the place to go. If your life depends on it, stay the hell away!!!

CozInCowtown

BudK, Gill Hibben, Frost cutlery...if you're looking for something to hang on you wall, that's the place to go. If your life depends on it, stay the hell away!!!
I tend to agree.
Buy the best you can afford and have good use for a lifetime instead of a lifetime of frustration.
JMO,
Coz

Newanderthal

Get something sturdy and practical and keep the thing sharp.

My old Cold Steel SRK won't win any awards for beauty, but it does its job well.

woodsman

I'm just curious by cutting wood do you mean batoning and such? If yes then why doesn't he use an axe? It's my experience that even a cheap axe will work better than a premium quality knife.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, if a "cheap" axe will hold a good edge, it might be a good wood chopping tool. I used to carry one in my vehicle. And have used it a few times to clear an unmaintained road or two.

If car camping, carrying one would be easy to do.

For those who backpack, that would be too heavy and too ungainly to carry around.

And if you're an ultra light camper, even a case knife would probably not be carried, in order to minimize weight.

Everybody knows something.

Barney

Get something sturdy and practical and keep the thing sharp.

My old Cold Steel SRK won't win any awards for beauty, but it does its job well.
That knife sounds very interesting, mostly because of its price range. Not so many knives of such build are that cheap. So it's good you say?

Newanderthal

That knife sounds very interesting, mostly because of its price range. Not so many knives of such build are that cheap. So it's good you say?
The old Cold Steel SRK was like $50 or something. It was made of CarbonV. I've pried apart pallets, hammered it into wood, cut down saplings, split small logs (4" diameter), and skinned deer. With the exception of a little wear in the powder coating at the very tip it looks unused. I got it in 2002.

The new SRK is made of some Japanese stainless that is softer and way more expensive.

The Recon Scout is made of SK-5 and is basically the big brother of the SRK. Same shape, just a bit larger. My brother has one. Indestructible.

Here's a used SRK (Made in the USA!)
For Sale Cold Steel SRK knife Carbon V

woodsman

Cold steel also makes good folders, if you don't mind the AUS8 steel. Personally I think it's a good steel for beater knifes since it's a little softer meaning it won't chip so easily.

Last edited:

Reed

I can understand using a knife to whittle wood but not to cut. Seems a bit odd to me. But anyone should know by now that Made In China doesn't equate to quality goods.

Last edited: