Hunting Respectfully

NaturallyYours

I don't hunt, but I have family members that do, and they're always respectful about it: they make sure to stay within the boundaries of the law, ask permission before hunting on private land, and follow gun safety protocols carefully.

Unfortunately, my dad (who owns several hundred acres) has been having trouble with hunters trespassing (without permission, obviously) and leaving their trash behind. He hates having to go out there and clean up their mess for them, and worries that they might accidentally shoot his livestock.

Is there anything he can do about it? He's put up "No Hunting" and "No Trespassing" signs, but they haven't done any good yet.

trader

If he has several hundred acres, there's not much he can do about it, unless he travels the perimeter with an ATV during the season.

Greenjack

It reminds me of the movie The Last of The Mohicans (Michael Mann and Daniel Day Lewis really did a great job), where the tribal people will always hunt respectfully. Not only they perfect the human-made laws, but they also respect their preys as well and just hunt as much as they need.

Bruen

That's the downside of owning that much land. It's darn near impossible to know what's going on on your own property at all times, when you've got that much to look after. He could post more signs where he finds evidence of the intruders and perhaps install cameras. The cameras may cost more than the benefit however.

SallyA

Since he has no trespassing signs up, couldn't he report them to the local sheriff? I thought the point of posting them, besides letting people know that you don't want them on your property, was to have some legal recourse if people violated them.

Luvoutdoors

Your local sheriff probably has better things to do. Here's what I would do post a few more no trespassing signs and then whereever you see evidence that they have been put up one of those Smile you are on camera signs. That will probably take care of it.

jason

fear no beer
Are they using the same trails frequently? You could try staking out those trails, or if he has the money buying some trail cameras. Then confront them or hand the photos over to the police. I would personally talk to them first though.

greensteelforge

Your father needs to find a few decent hunters who like to spend lots of time in the field. If he can get a few people he can trust to hunt there, they'll be happy to help keep the uncouth among us away in exchange for access to good hunting grounds. Part of having that much land is keeping an eye on things if you care.

clean kill

I don't hunt, but I have family members that do, and they're always respectful about it: they make sure to stay within the boundaries of the law, ask permission before hunting on private land, and follow gun safety protocols carefully.

Unfortunately, my dad (who owns several hundred acres) has been having trouble with hunters trespassing (without permission, obviously) and leaving their trash behind. He hates having to go out there and clean up their mess for them, and worries that they might accidentally shoot his livestock.

Is there anything he can do about it? He's put up "No Hunting" and "No Trespassing" signs, but they haven't done any good yet.
What we done about trespassers we went to walmart and purchased 4 digital cameras the cost was around $250.00 we set them up for daylight with no flash.When you got there pic they cant lie about being there.The law will go to there residents and pic them up after a few of them go to jail They get the point.

Mountainman

In Montana, where I live and hunt, fish, etc. there are some places that have spreads in excess of 100,000 acres. Since 640 acres equates to approximately a square mile, get the picture how large a ranck can be. I hunted for antelope on one such place in central montana near the town of Roy. The rancher was very accomodating and had specific areas where stock was isolated and near which we could not hunt. But there was still plenty of other areas with nice groups of antelope which we could stalk and harvest. Its been a long time since I first hunted there, but the owner was quite affable and so long as you treat people respectfully, that goes a long way.

Seven

My father is also having the same issues right now. He has called to police and they won't come out. So yesterday he went and bought a couple trail camera's hoping to catch the disrespectful hunters and put them in jail where they belong!

dinosaur

troublemaker
What we done about trespassers we went to walmart and purchased 4 digital cameras the cost was around $250.00 we set them up for daylight with no flash.When you got there pic they cant lie about being there.The law will go to there residents and pic them up after a few of them go to jail They get the point.
Now there's a clean kill.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t