I love REI!!! How about you?

Thelosthiker

Just spent my whole day at REI 'cause it was my day off. And boy did I have fun!! This time I walked around the entire store, something i've never done because my sisters think that place is boring :p I bought the beautiful venturi shirt and the life is good bag. Spent around 80 on two items, IM BROKE!! If only I have the money to buy more things there. Gosh I could live there!!!
What's your story at REI?

Refrigerator

heheh My Story is I never take my credit card in there. I remember joining REI when they only had one store and there was no Internet, only a small catalog sent out quarterly. Started out with 23 Mountain Climbers in 1938 and I have been a member since 1978.

Benny

REI is the best for everything outdoors! Bass Pro Shop is OK - as I matter of fact, that's where I used to go all the time, but since I first stepped foot into REI, I haven't been back.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I started buying from REI in the eighties. I went to one of their stores in the early nineties and spent hundreds on that day. Their stuff is expensive and worth every penny. After almost thirty years, I have yet to have to replace any of the gear I bought there.

gear-report

Gear junkie
While there is much to like about REI, I sometimes can't get past their premium prices.
They often have great gear, and their people have always been nice and knowledgeable. However, the internet is changing how retail businesses operate. I wonder how long they can sustain higher pricing.

Gondor

I'm a member at REI as well and I like dividends that you get from purchasing stuff. In the end it boils down to having a 10% discount to almost everything. Although to join REI you need to cough up 20 bucks.

steves

In my area we have REI and I am a member but we also have EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) and unfortunately (for REI) EMS is closer to my house.
I always compare prices and 99% of times they are exact,but EMS has way more sales,club days and specials. Plus You can not beat EMS customer service, I bought a pair of Vasque boots at REI 6 months later the soles cracked and REI was giving me a hard time about the exchange. I took the same boots to EMS told them I bought them at REI,and they still exchanged them with no hassels.
So I would have to say that after falling in love at REI the honeymoon is over and EMS is my mistress.

gear-report

Gear junkie
In my area we have REI and I am a member but we also have EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) ...
Oh yeah! EMS has great sales online. Never been to one in person, but they are always doing some sort of online sale on brand name stuff.
I could go broke rather quickly at either store :)

IndianaHiker

I have shopped at REI in the past when I lived in Oregon. However I have always preferred to use local business and I am very luck to have a great local store near me.

Everyone that works there knows their stuff and are very helpful and extremely friendly. Between the owner and his staff always feel like I am visiting friends when I go in there. If you are in the Louisville are step in and check them out.

The Trail Store

They also have a small cafe and a map store there as well.

IndianaHiker

Sorry dupe post cant remove it

I have shopped at REI in the past when I lived in Oregon. However I have always preferred to use local business and I am very luck to have a great local store near me.

Everyone that works there knows their stuff and are very helpful and extremely friendly. Between the owner and his staff always feel like I am visiting friends when I go in there. If you are in the Louisville are step in and check them out.

The Trail Store

They also have a small cafe and a map store there as well.

Last edited:

Thelosthiker

Just spent yet another day at REI!!! it was great. Only this time I went to a different one. Too bad both locations are far from where I live. But that's the last time I go to the one on Boca park, FAR!!!

Lorax

REI is okay. Our store (100 miles away from me) won store of the year a few years ago. Now it is stocked with more yuppie clothes and 4 year olds running around in $200 Patagonia jackets. The sleeping bags and packs are crunched into a small corner and not attended to very well. The stove display area used to be huge and now features two at the most.

And of course all the specials and "deals" have a lot of fine print. Although I've been a member for years, I can usually find better deals elsewhere. Easily offsetting the "dividend" they pay members.

Bud

I'm not loyal to just one company or brand. I like to compare products, prices and companies when I'm in the market for an item. Some items don't need to be high end, and some do, so it just depends.

Thelosthiker

I'm not loyal to just one company or brand. I like to compare products, prices and companies when I'm in the market for an item. Some items don't need to be high end, and some do, so it just depends.
Of course I always compare prices and read reviews too. Expensive things aren't always good quality.

toddlmr

I only buy at the garage sales. Got kick the hippies out of the way!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Gondor

I think nothing beats shopping in person. But downside is that you don't have enough time to compare things like you would online which make a huge difference. I'm not a rich man and I make decisions after a lot of contemplating.