IN Case of Emegrency

gino1976

So i have always wondered, if something bad was to happen on a trek, what is the best way to get help? We all have cell phones, but most don't work in national parks. Any ideas?

justontime

It is very important that you leave clear details of where you are going, what route you are taking and when you plan to be back. Someone you trust should raise the alarm if you don't return/ring in by a set time. I can't give you more specific info because I live in UK so I only know how things work here.

Sky

I always try to make sure I am with a carrier that can reach just about anywhere. However, there are always dead spots to be found. I also like to carry a walkie talkie radio with me, just for emergencies.

jason

fear no beer
Satellite phones like mentioned are good. But they are costly, and can break. Not to mention you may need to try and tell them where you are. I do not know if they have any location style devices.

A little bit better option is you can get a distress radio beacon. These devices send out a distress signal that can be detected by non-geostationary satellites and can triangulate your position. The beacons are uniquely identified, and will send a GPS position with the signal. They can be homed by SAR aircraft and ground search. You can see REI's section here Personal Locator Beacons at REI.com

That all being said. Things can happen. You could get knocked out, devices can break. To me safety starts before I leave. Nothing beats writing down where you are going, what you are wearing, the path you plan on taking and what time you will be home and leaving it with someone.

Paige

That's a good idea, Jason! I may have to look into getting one of these. I do let people know where I'm going and make sure I have someone with me. I never hike alone at any time. I would also like to add, make sure you have enough water and some extra food with you when you leave. You may also want to make sure you have a survival blanket and some rudimentary medical supplies with you. It never hurts to be prepared.

2coastcamper

I also always carry a fox40 whistle. It's the same whistle that NBA referees use, and loud as all get out. Were I ever somewhere and immobilized, I'll toot on that thing all night long. It takes much less energy than screaming, and it can be heard from further away. They're cheap, too.

calanta

The whistle sounds like a good idea as well and I really do not know that much about the special phones. I know they are pricey though since my MIL used one when she was on vacation last, and rented rates from her words were "horrible".

oldsarge

Check out the book By Cody Lundin "98.6 Degrees, how to keep your ass alive", it has information you will need to prepare for a bad situation considering all your high tech tools fail. As folks who enjoy getting out in the great outdoors, we put ourselves in an area that's going to take some time to locate us if we fall into bad times. Proper planning is the most important part, letting others know your plan so they can provide the authorities with the proper information to start a search effectively. I'm not saying this book has all the answers but I will say it's one of the best books I have read providing some well needed lessons. Check it out!

trbird

As was mentioned before, it is always wise to leave details with someone you know and trust (i.e. family member, co-worker, friend). Let them know where you will be what trail you will be on, what time you expect to arrive, what time you expect to be out and what time you plan on checking in. In that case, if they haven't heard from you by a set time, that can alert the proper authorities and give them a good idea as to where you might be.

Aside from cell phones or sat phones, there are the SPOT devices provided you can afford something like that. Someone mentioned walkie talkies. If those are the GRS/FRS radios, their range is very limited and unless you have someone at the trail head waiting, or close by, they don't really do a lot of good. Another great option is Ham Radio. I am a licensed amateur (HAM) radio operator and I never go on a hike that is more than 3 miles without my 2 meter handie talkie. With a 2 meter hand held 2 way radio, you can communicate hundreds of miles out with no more than 5 watts of power. That is the typical power out from a hand held radio. Here in East Tennessee and I would imagine in most parts of the U.S. there are many 2 meter Ham Radio repeaters. The places we go hiking in, I can usually reach one of these repeaters with my radio. What the radio does is receives your signal and re-broadcasts it out for miles to anyone that might be listening on that particular frequency or scanning through. You can also make contacts on simplex frequencies as well. These are frequencies that do not have a repeater sitting on them to rebroadcast. There are national simplex calling frequencies that are monitored by other ham radio operators most of the time. With 5 watts on a simplex frequency, depending on your location (i.e. in a valley, gorge, on a mountain peak) you can get your signal out from a couple of miles to many miles.

Anyway that's my .02 on the question. If you would like more information on Ham Radio, check out arrl.com or search google on how to become a ham radio operator.

I'll be more than happy to answer any questions anyone might have as well.

As for the radio I use, it's a Yaesu VX-170. It is very rugged and most of all waterproof - Protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet).

Here is a rescue in the Smokies that was assisted by Ham Radio operators: ht tp://w ww.arrl.org /news/amateur-radio-assists-with-rescue-in-great-smoky-mountains

Last edited:

IndianaHiker

trbird, correct me if I am wrong but to use the radio for just communicating you need to have a license correct? However if memory serves you can use them for emergency situation even if you are unlicensed.

Yogi

I was always taught to carry a loud whistle and a mirror. The whistle would be for trying to get someone's attention with sound, and the mirror with sight so your location could be pinpointed.

dinosaur

troublemaker
If my legs and arms are working, I don't want any help. If I don't have someone in my camp who is critically injured I don't need any help. Whistles and bells won't help where I go. I've been injured and got myself out. I never counted on electronics to save my sorry butt.

The last time I got myself into a bad situation, I said to me: You got yourself in it, get yourself out. And I did. I know this may not always work and radios and telephones are terrific. But don't count on them. There are many recordings of people talking to would be rescuers as they died. Your ass belongs to you. Don't count on anyone else.

BCBabe

I'll second what Yogi and dinosaur have said....

I have a whistle, a mirror, and the understanding that the most likely rescuer is going to be myself... slipping while portaging a fully loaded kayak and taking my back out (oh and I did a good job of it, too) also taught me to plan better and have 'back up' plans for "what if's".

trbird

trbird, correct me if I am wrong but to use the radio for just communicating you need to have a license correct? However if memory serves you can use them for emergency situation even if you are unlicensed.
That is correct. If it's a true emergency then you do not need a license. However, if you are just keying up a ham radio without a license and there is no emergency, then hope you don't get caught. :p

Grandpa

As mentioned before, the Spot tracker is the ultimate out here. It has a 911 button for emergencies requiring search and rescue, a send help button that goes directly to designated cell phones (I use my wife and daughter) An OK button that tells those cell phones I'm settled in for the night or I survived the night. When set on "trail" it sends out a signal every ten minutes with location so if you fail to check in they can go right to within 10 minutes of the last signal. I also understand the new ones have a roadside button so if you break down enroute, it will contact your roadside service agency AAA or whoever with exact location. It also has an optional "extraction" insurance in case search and rescue has to haul you out, and it works anywhere in the world.
Many places I go, I can drive for an hour after coming out before my cell can get a signal. We have tried 2 way and fm radios but can't get a signal out far enough to reach each other in separate canyons. I don't carry a gps but one of the son-in laws does and the spot seems to work even when the gps is cutting out, such as in the slot canyons.

I have a sequence signal set up with my family if I don't need 911. A single "send help" has wife calls the boys and they load the packs with extra supplies and come running. A send help, followed by an i'm okay means I found something cool, come if you want to see it, and a "send help, okay, send help" means bring the horses to haul my sorry carcass out of here.

If I run across something interesting like a cave or an old mine that I don't want to explore alone, I just note the time. When I get home I can google my exact location at that time so on a return trip with others, I know exactly where to go. Priceless

oldsarge

Satellite phones like mentioned are good. But they are costly, and can break. Not to mention you may need to try and tell them where you are. I do not know if they have any location style devices.
DeLorme makes the PN60 GPS, it has SPOT capabilities.