Is horseback riding a hard thing to learn?

livi1212

I run track and I would like to start going horseback riding. I think it would be interesting, but how late is too late to start taking lessons? And do you have to have your own horse?

jason

fear no beer
If you run track, you must have strong legs. That's good in horseback riding, because you use them to hold on. No, you don't need your own horse. Find a place near you that advertises lessons. There may be English lessons or Western lessons available. I'd try both to see which you prefer. Of course, if you live in cowboy land, maybe you want to ride the way most of your buddies ride. On the other hand, many places have mostly English. Both are cool in their own ways.

Horses are great, but they're big, so be careful. Be honest with the teacher...if you're a beginner, say so. Don't be embarrassed...everybody starts sometime. If you have trouble finding a stable, check out 4-H in your area...they might be able to hook you up. Good luck!

Ms. Nibbles

No, you don't have to have your own horse to take riding lessons. As long as your legs are strong and supple, there is no reason why you can't learn to ride a horse. Just make sure that the person who is going to teach you has a gentle horse that you can learn on.