Jewelry and the outdoors

jason

fear no beer
You know, I've never given this much thought until a friend asked me about it. But do you wear jewelry when going outdoors for long periods of time? I do not often wear anything, except a necklace. I have a cheap watch I wear when camping, this way if it breaks or I loose it I'm not freaking out.

I don't wear any rings when camping, I don't have any piercings, and don't wear anything "fancy".

Kitten

I definitely don't wear anything "fancy," but I do wear a watch. I will occasionally wear an anklet or a necklace if we're going to be out for a couple days, but nothing worth much of anything, so if I lose it, no big deal.

HereToday

Dollar store!

I usually try to make a trip to the dollar store for (among other stuff) a cheapo watch that won't be long lamented if it winds up left behind. I wouldn't be too amazed to see an old griz walking around sporting one of my one-dollar specials!

BigT

I don't have anything too fancy to wear anyway.

But anyway, I think I'm similar to most with respect to the fact I tend to make use of cheaper jewellery. I don't wear to much day-to-day anyway, so it doesn't have a great impact on me.

HereToday

After thinking about it, I realize that I also pick up a package of hair ties when I'm at the dollar store to take camping, that way when I lose some on the trail it doesn't matter. I've always imagined some squirrel puzzling over one of my lost hair ties.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

rubybeetle

I don't wear any jewelry while camping. Watches, bracelets, earrings, and even rings just get in the way or get damaged. I've had earrings get caught on branches as I hike.

oldsarge

I never saw a need for jewelry period. What a waste of money! I see people wearing all kinds of chains, rings and bracelets...all they're doing is trolling for thieves to come rob them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Jewelry is an adornment that serves no purpose. If you are out in an environment that requires everything to have purpose, jewelry becomes incredibly stupid.

oldsarge

I've had folks tell me how gold, diamonds and other precious stones and metals will save you when society breaks down and money is no good. I look at it this way, when the feces hit's the rotating oscillator and things get that bad, people are starving for food and water. You will be assaulted or killed for the basic necessities to provide one's life. If I had food and water, and someone offered me jewelry for it, what good would that be? Offer me weapons, and ammo, shelter or survival items, some other life sustaining items.

Bud

The only thing I have with me on a camping trip that comes close to jewelery is the lucky fishing fly stuck in my hat band. No, I'm telling which fly it is!

Sophia

Jewelry? Why would you wear jewelry? You certainly are not going to impress anybody with it while you're in the wilderness.... You would do better being "fashionably rugged".

YogiBear

I don't wear anything extremely expensive and really only wear my watch that I have specifically for camping, hiking and other outdoor activities. I wouldn't want to be without my watch.

BCBabe

Sorry, guys, but while I don't wear my wedding set, I do sport a plain gold band on my left hand.... it's been there for more than 25 yrs, and be damned that I'm taking it off.

Having said that, I admit to having 2 body piercings, but the hardware in both is such that it's not an issue (yes, an old broad like me has some 'modern' twists to her), although it could help to ID my body! HAHAHAHA!!!

BigBackyard

I've seen too many accidents caused by the wearing of jewellery on a hike. It only takes for a ring to catch on a fence, or a style as you climb it, and you are lacking a finger. I don't wear any jewellery when I'm out.

Seven

I am with all of you I see no need for jewelry when out in the great outdoors! I wear a cheap watch and my wedding ring that is the only 2 items I have anyway.

April

I see no purpose for wearing jewelry out into the woods. Hunting, fishing, or camping I do not wear my diamonds out! I would be at a loss if I lost any of my jewelery as my hubby spoils me!

ChadTower

There are two scenarios in which I bring a lot of jewelry into the woods:

1) If I'm in the Jersey wilderness hunting Guidos.
2) If I'm looking to acquire an island from the natives.

So far, no luck on either end, so it isn't serving much purpose other than being heavy.