Just Went Clamming

andykitna1987

Just went clamming for the 2nd time in my life. Pretty fun stuff. Got my limit(with a lot of help from my brother in law) of 20. Now I have to find a chowder recipe.

ChadTower

Condensed milk - chicken stock - clams - potatoes - green beans. That's pretty much it for the base recipe. Add what you want after that. :)

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
Condensed milk - chicken stock - clams - potatoes - green beans. That's pretty much it for the base recipe. Add what you want after that. :)
Chopped\slivered green beans and carrots for mine! Along with a bit of fresh clam juice and a little corn starch to help it thicken :).

jason

fear no beer
I used to love doing that, coming home, boiling in some garlic water, and eating them with some garlic butter. Can you tell the person I used to go with loved garlic? No wonder why I grew to love it.

Flukeball61

There are so many recipes on line, first you need to find what type of chowder you like, Manhattan Red, NewEngland White, or the rare Rhode Island clear broth, they are all good in thr'er own way but I lean toward the NewEngland white with the cream & bacon, (((Dam that sounds good))).

EddieK47

Old Yankee
Wish I had my Mother in laws recipe.Was the best clam chowder I ever ate.Gain a pound with every serving but it was worth it!

Hazel

I started reading this thread a few days ago and got inspired, NE clam chowder. First I rendered BACON and sauteed finely diced carrots, onions and celery in the fat. Added the cubed potatoes and clams w/ juice and covered it with just enough water and let it simmer until the taters were soft. (Gluten free) I mixed a tsp of cornstarch with a cup of heavy cream, added it to the pot and stirred like mad. I didn't need to add much salt 'cuz of the bacon, then added black pepper to taste. There were no leftovers.
P.S. You can garnish each serving with the bacon bits.

rayne

We go clam digging every summer and have yet to make chowder. We just clean, steam, open and eat. Yum. We do use hot sauce, cocktail sauce or tartar sauce sometimes. Usually, we just eat them plain.

Bella Rae

I have never been clam digging. Where I live, the best you can do is go crawfish hunting. Can you dig for clams in Florida? If so, I might try it next time I go there.

Mary Beth

I do not like eating clams, but I do enjoy clam chowder. I bet digging for the clams, is like a treasure hunt! Why can you only dig for 20 of the clams? Is that 20 per person in your group, or 20 in all?

ppine

Forester
I used to live on Camano Island, WA back in the 70s. There was a giant bay near the house that was exposed at low tide and provided lots of clams. Making chowder is no big trick. We are all familiar with the NE style with a milk base and lots of potatoes and root vegetables. The Manhattan style with a tomato base and some spices is really good. This discussion is making me hungry. Clams provide a lot of flavor and can be used in many dishes. Chop them up fine for people that aren't too sure about bivalves.

Marshmallow

I've never gone clam digging either, but it's been on my list since I was a teenager reading about it. No one in my family does this. What areas of the country are best for digging clams?

ppine

Forester
I like the cold water clams. You need either a very flat shoreline, and/or a lot of tidal range to expose large "flats" at low tide. Ask around for the best places. Bivalves are exacting in their habitat preferences.