Kayak or Canoe?

dtinnan

having owned both, I'd choose a kayak everytime. More stability, maneuverability, and for the control freak in me, I prefer to be alone in the boat.

mom2manyboyz

I haven't ever tried a kayak, only a canoe. But, after reading this thread, I certainly want to! It sounds like fun!

dtinnan

the stability comes from being in the water in a kayak instead of above it in a canoe. the maneuverability comes from the two blade paddle.

fbird

definitely the kayak, stability, maneuverability. only problem is there's nowhere for the dog.

fbird

mine isn't that small only 65lbs but still to big and restless to ride with.

Kitten

Kayaks make me more nervous, for whatever reason. I think it's because of how you have to get into them, and I'm not a strong swimmer, so I'm always more concerned about getting 'out' if something happens.

dtinnan

most recreational kayaks have an extremely large cockpit. me, my son, and our dog could all sit in the hole on my Keowee II. if it turns over, it's nearly impossible to remain in the boat upside down.

basecamp

ofcourse, i will go for kayak,
Its easy in control, its stable, its reliable and a great comfort to me :)

I m damn sure, most people out their prefer kayak.

silverskee

Definately the Kayak. It's much easier for me and I like to just go somewhere quite and relax. Just lying down just me and the nature. Bliss.

freedom

Canoes for sure. Me and my friend used to race each other at our local lake. It was quite fun actually. I can still remember that we used to win each other quite evenly.

boxoff

I have been in both. I prefer a kayak 100% It gives a good ride and you can move more easily in it. I feel more safer in a canoe but there's no thrill without a little taste of danger involved. Both are fun though.

m1dz0r

I sincerely prefer the kayaks. I can maneuver the easier. It`s true that it`s a liitle hard to get in and out of them.It`s tricky.:D A canoe is good too, but the kayak is easier to control and it`s the most used. 7 out of 10 people choose kayaks. Oh yeah... and when you are in the kayak you are in the water, and in the canoe you are above.

shaan

Canoes and kayaks are pretty similar when it comes down to it. They both move along on the water when people sit in them and paddle. There are just a few differences. Canoes typically use a paddle with a single blade. Kayakers use a double-bladed paddle.

steven

Canoe or a kayak? Which is the boat for you? That depends. I wish I could be more more specific, but I can't. It's your call. What's best for me may simply not work for you. What do you want? More to the point—what do you want a boat for?

chocoguy

I think that I would prefer both. What is the difference in the first place?

They are just used to get a good exercise on the waters.